Hi All, I am new to heavy equipment and am breathing life into a 580B that has sat idle for years. I have been lurking on this site and the info has been very helpful and it is responding to treatment (grease / fluids). I suspect that the ignition timing may be off (too retarded) and I would like to put a strobe on the engine to get the advance timing right. I have looked in the manuals and here but have drawn a blank on finding the timing marks. Any advice? Many thx
Welcome to HEF Mike ! Here is a link to the complete service manual. If you cannot find the answers you need in it come back and ask. http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/... MANUAL/Case 580CK Model B Service Manual.pdf
The marks should be on the flywheel. Find the inspection cover and you'll see it. That said, if you think the timing is wrong, just turning the distributor until it runs better can get you very close. Do it at idle so the automatic timing advance doesn't mess you up.
It is the timing advance I want to check - I would like to know it is advancing properly. Tinker pointed me to the manual (it came with a large service manual but not the loader / backhoe) so many thanks for that. I have found reference to 32 and 8 btdc - I suspect it should be 32-34. However... on poking around - I found timing marks on the crankshaft pulley but can't see the reference mark on the crankcase (it is a bit cluttered on the RHS owing to the alternator). Any ideas? thanks ~Zip
Which engine do you have ? They have different specs. For the complete timing information read section 23 - page 44.
It is a 188B gas
I have decided to replace the radiator / thermostat etc.... You wouldn't happen to know where the bottom bolts are? I have the top cover off (Bonnet) and the radiator side bolts - but it is held at the bottom (I removed several quarts of compacted greased crud) The hydraulic cooler is separate - it is just the water one. Any clues? Thx Mike