Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b Injector problems

Dougl63 ยท 2014-06-23 08:07

I need some advice about a recent problem with my backhoe its around late 60"S 580 construction king with a 188 engine I believe. It was missing a little so I added seafoam to see if it was a injector problem. About 20 min into running it made a strange noise and started running worse and black smoke came out and the rear cyl started leaking diesel out if the exhaust port. I pulled the injector out and the tip of the needle was broken off, I then pulled the injector apart and the needle had a slight bend close to the end. I ordered a rebuilt injector from Ebay from shop seller. It all looked good except the top side for the return line had a different adjusting style than mine, otherwise looked the same. I installed and still not any better. I bled out the line and still no help. I the switched the inj with the next cyl to see if problem followed the inj. when I crack the line it seems that its has foam as if it has air. I continued to do that for both cyls and is seemed to help a little. I was getting white smoke and seemed like it was getting better, but still lacked power. I tried using it and when I put it under a load it lacked in power and black smoke was coming out and it the temp started running too high. I hope I haven't lost a cyl, any advice. Thanks in advance for any help. Doug

Replies4
  1. #1AllDodge2014-06-23 09:10

    IMO seafoam is snake oil Back to your question, white smoke comes from a the diesel not being burned in the combustion process. I see a compression test is needed

  2. #2Dougl632014-06-23 09:19

    Thanks, I was thinking that it might come to that. Thanks

  3. #3wlas2014-06-27 03:56

    What's the best way the do a compression test and what type tester does it take for a 188D ?

  4. #4AllDodge2014-06-27 08:54

    Google diesel compression tester and it will come up with some choices. Then find one which has the means to work with you pencil type injectors in your 188D. Need to remove the injectors to test.