Trying to restore my dash wiring back to pretty much original in my 1975 580B. Got a new key switch but there is no obvious #6 white wire coming out of my harness to hook up to the Start terminal. The #6 white wire is suppose to go from the start terminal on the key switch to the the intake heater solenoid BUT mine does NOT have an intake heater. The start button does have a yellow wire coming from the ignition pole on the key switch. On the other side of the start push button there is a yellowish (maybe white) wire going in to the harness. I continuity tested this wire and it's connected to the white/neg terminal on the starter solenoid (so I'm thinking this might be the missing #6 white wire?). I believe I have a 2 position, 3 terminal (bat, St, ign). Key switch. Case Ignition Switch with Key Set Upgrade your Case equipment with the Case Ignition Switch with Key Set. Interchanging with multiple part numbers, this ignition switch is designed for Case Backhoes, Forklifts, and Skid Steers. www.brokentractor.com With the key on and/or pushed to the 2nd position I get nothing from the starter and nothing from the start button. I have the rest of the wires connected according to the wiring schmatic (terminal on right is ignition, terminal on left is battery), but nothing hooked up to the start terminal. Is there a wire that I need to hook up to the start terminal like the yellowish/white wire going from the start button to the neg starter solenoid terminal to make the key switch or start button work ? If I hook the yellowish/white wire to the ST (start) terminal on the key switch instead of the start button, will turning the key to the spring loaded 2nd position trigger the starter, like in a normal car? Also should I have 12V at the battery terminal on the key switch at all times, even with the key out and/or in the off position? Thanks
From what I know there should always be power to the Key Switch battery Terminal, even with key out unless theres more to it than I know. If the yellowish/white wire goes to the " S " Terminal of the starter solenoid it will crank over if starter is okay unless something else in between is damaged or faulty. Simon C
Just to confirm for others. Battery has 12V all the time,, When the key is turned on ignition has 12V, and when you turn the key all the way it sends 12V to the Start terminal. I put the old yellowish/white wire that's was on the start button on on the start terminal on the key switch and it turns over when you turn the key all the way to the 2nd position and when you turn the key to the 1st position you get 12V to the exciter wire to trigger the alternator.........SUCCESS......finally. Thanks
1st position of turn is normally Ignition as you have stated. Second position is the start position. If you have problems with the start position later on you can do as some have , they disconnected the wire at the starter " S " terminal and put it on an extra relay for the excitation terminal of the relay. The reason they do this is because of the multiple connections to get to the starter, and because the starter solenoid draws a lot of amps the old harness cannot supply sufficient power. So by mounting an extra relay they use the wiring to switch a new relay which only takes a fraction of the power to do and the old harness can still control the start. If you have problems later on, we can help with this modification. Lets face it some of the wires on your machine are 50 years young. Simon C