Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My first post case 590sl

EricR · 2025-09-24 13:55

I very recently purchased a 590sl and picked up a ffc/case quick coupler for it. Is there a place that sells the brackets that fit factory case buckets. I usually draw this sort of stuff to have cut on a plasma table but am having a difficult time figuring out how to get the dimensions of the bucket profile. Also the loader is self leveling. I have adjusted the cable in all sorts of ways but no matter what it works very poorly and only try’s to level slightly when the loader is lifted to max height, and at which point the curl up on the loader valve “locks out” preventing you to curl the bucket up from level. I have never owned a case before so I don’t know how well it is supposed to operate but it has to be better then it is I would think. Am I missing something? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1JBrady2025-09-24 15:31

    Welcome to HEF! I also have a 590 Super L. I can't help you on the quick coupler. I have a few different buckets, but just the factory coupler on the backhoe. I don't change buckets that often and when I do, it just takes a few minutes. FYI, any case buckets from the old 580CK all the way to the last 580M series are all the same. The N series is different. On the loader, yea, I suppose it is self-leveling but I don't see it doing much until the very end of lifting and it keeps it from rolling back too much. There is an adjustment procedure to that valve or switch and I believe it is tied into the "return to dig" function that is described in the service manual.

  2. #2EricR2025-09-24 16:18

    Thanks. I should clarify the quick coupler is for the loader J Brady. Maybe I’m just disappointed in the self leveling feature. All other self leveling machines are mechanical and the bucket stays in the exact same position throughout the entire lift cycle. If that’s all it’s expected to do I think I’ll just disconnect it

  3. #3Willie B2025-09-24 20:11

    I've owned 3 Case backhoe loaders with "Return To Dig" and self levelling. If self levelling is truly what you seek, in design it only is intended to roll the bucket forward to prevent dumping the load in your lap. All three I've owned worked in this feature, but sudden. Return to dig has not worked, nor have I made it work on any I've owned. An Early JD 410 I once had was a true self levelling bucket. Linkage made the bucket remain level despite height, nice when loading wet manure.

  4. #4EricR2025-09-24 21:38

    Yes I have mechanical self leveling machines that truly self level. When I bought the machine I was hoping something was just out of adjustment and would have similar leveling capability but I guess it’s working as intended. Not the end of the world with a bucket, but I have a set of forks for it, and in my opinion you can’t beat a true self leveling machine for fork work.

  5. #5Tinkerer2025-09-25 07:48

    I am very familiar with the return to dig function on my loader. It is a completely separate from the self-leveling function that will prevent bucket from dumping on material on the tractor and possibly injuring the operator if it did do that. I they both interact with each other. If the self-leveling adjustment isn't correct the RTD will not have the bucket in a level position when the loader lowers if to the ground. Below is the adjustment procedure for a Case 580C. It can be found in the operators manual. The self-leveling adjustment instructions are in the service manual. I'm sure the procedure varies on different makes and models of loaders.