Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B Ok To Run Differential Low on Fluid?

580Bhoe ยท 2025-12-02 14:34

Went through most of the known problems on my 1975 Case 580B this summer, finished up with changing all of the remaining fluids. Unit is a 4 speed with power shuttle. When I changed the gear box/ differential gear oil it had a bunch of wTer, flushed it out with some diesel and some gear oil before I did the final four gallon fill with 85W/90 Napa gear oil. Once I filled it up it started leaking out of the weap hole on the right side brake housing. After some research pretty sure the seals on the brake shafts are leaking at least on the right side. Great thread with tons of pictures on how to repair/rebuild the entire brake & seals: HeavyEquipmentForums I filled it yesterday and it took about a gallon, from what I can tell the gear box holds about 3 gallons and the differential holds about a gallon. Since winter is already suppose to be here I have no time to break in to all this and do the repairs but I do need to run some work around my property. 1) Will the differential be enpty with these seals outI 2) Is it ok to run it low for 4-6 hours with light loads Or 3) Do I need to fill it to run it so there's no damage done to the diff, It leaks out about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon over 4-6 hours of fairly easy use? thanks

Replies1
  1. #1stinky642025-12-02 18:48

    Aside from puking gear lube all over your property..... won't even bother explaining, just fix it.