I have a 2wd 1978 Case 580L backhoe, recently replaced the fuel pump, and injector pump. I have to boost it off due to a slow drain on the battery. Also have to jumper the terminals on the alternator to excite the alternator. So it has multiple issues. The biggest thing right now is that when I get it started, it runs for about 3-5 minutes and shuts down. I let it sit for 30 minutes or so, boost it off, and it will run for a few minutes and quit again. I suspect a fuel flow issue. I am going to replace the fuel filter to see if that is the issue, any steps or precautions I need to take in doing so? Thanks in advance, Newbie, and not very experienced with diesels.
Chances are if your machine is 1978 case 580 it's not an L. If you post serial number or some pics of machine, maybe we can help.
There’s a lot of inj pumps they used on the 580.. it would help if u could post a name and or numbers off the name plate.. Do not scrape it.. its tin and not forgiving..
I have a 1980's Case 580 and was having the same issue after resurrecting it. I am assuming you had some crap in your fuel lines or tank and that is why you had your pump and injectors rebuilt. Check the check valve on top of the injector pump and see if it is getting clogged, ie the one that feeds into the injector return lines. mine kept getting clogged up and was doing the same thing you described. it drove me bonkers. I ended up buying another check valve and fitting to add a hose line to install a diesel fuel filter before the check valve. It has been running great ever since.
Crike2000, it’s very possible you made it worse.. unless you’re in the habit of running out of fuel and sucking up the bottom of the tank.. I’m thinking maybe u have a broken flex ring and the small bits were getting into the check ball fitting and shutting the engine down.?? NOW the bits are going into the tank..?? I could be wrong.. it’s happened before.. Just keep this in the back of your mind for the future.. If the RPM’s start to fluctuate/surge and u can’t control the speed of the engine.. it’s getting ready to run away and u won’t be able to stop it.. you only get a few chances to shut it down.. Good luck.
Good to know. Simon C
I'm glad you mentioned that, I see my description was not that great.I was read about the issue you described. So here is my setup Injector pump return outlet -> check valve fitting with glass ball removed and 90 degree bend removed-> straight BSPT to hose barb fitting -> fuel line-> inline filter -> fuel line -> check valve (with ball)and 90 degree fitting to orginal return line. The tractor I have, sat for 9 years, before I got it. The return line from the injectors and the feed line were both clogged from sitting to long. I am assuming the gunk im getting in the check valve is from the injector pump itself and/or the short line from the fuel filters.
I’m doing one now that sat as u described.. Send me your home email in a prvt msg and I’ll send u some pictures..(start a conversation)