Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 410G Transmission will not engage occasionally.

rrfarms ยท 2025-12-02 13:43

Occasionally my 2004 Deere 410G (T0410GX929353) powershift transmission will not engage when I shift it into forward or reverse. It does fine when I first start it. Moves in forward and reverse good. But occasionally, after I have operated it for a while, I can press the brake, come to a stop, then it won't move. I shift it to neutral, then to forward or reverse and it does not move. I try cycling thru 1st - 4th, shift between forward and reverse, but it will not move. When I go to forward or reverse it feels like it wants to engage slightly but does not move. I can cut the machine off for a few minutes then start it again and the transmission engages again just fine. It may run fine all day for several days, or it may fail once or twice a day. It appears that the previous owner, (a water utilities department) filled the transmission with automatic transmission fluid. It was red and had that smell when I went to change it after I bought it. The manual states that HyGard hydraulic fluid be used in the transmission. I am in the process of draining and filling, running it, and repeating in order to have it filled with the HyGard. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? Any advise will be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612025-12-03 05:17

    Definitely change the oil. Then try this. Under the right side instrument panel, mounted on the inside of the fender, there is a timer relay. Try jumping the two terminals shown below to see if your issue goes away. Only do this temporarily, as this will affect the timing of the speed pack engagement.

  2. #2JL Sargent2025-12-03 12:56

    When it won't move, does the brake light turn on?

  3. #3rrfarms2025-12-03 14:01

    mg2361......So you want me to unplug the relay form the block and place a jumper between socket locations 6&1 while the problem is happening, correct? JL Sargent...........No, the brake light does not turn on when this happens.

  4. #4mg23612025-12-04 04:31

    Yes.