Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B power steering issues.

ANGUS BEEF ยท 2022-09-17 20:24

My tractors been split for about a year and a half so the engine could be rebuilt. Engine is finally done and back in. Connect everything back up and i have no power steering. Everything worked peior to wngine rebuild. Took power steering pump off just to have it checked. Shop said everything is good. Got schematic from local Case dealer to trace lines and everything appears to be correct. Steering turns really hard like its fighting itself or something. Big resistance. Would there be air in the lines? Whats the proper way to bleed the lines if thats the culprit. Each steering cylinder has two lines to the valve body. Cant get this figured out and frustrated. Any help appreciated.

Replies23
  1. #1franklin22022-09-17 22:07

    Did the lines get mixed up? I always thought this system was interesting, as most just have one hydraulic slave as a "helper" but this system has a hydraulic cylinder for each side. I have a 480c but I think it's the same as yours.

  2. #2franklin22022-09-17 22:20

    I will try and upload some pictures of the lines.

  3. #3ANGUS BEEF2022-09-17 23:10

    I have a schematic and i traced everything. I certainly could have messed something up but according to the schematic its correct.

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-09-18 08:31

    My first guess would be a piston has come off of one of the steering cylinder rods. Take the two lies that go from the steering motor to the steering cylinders off of the cylinders and put the exposed ends in a bucket to catch the oil. Start the engine and determine if the the steering wheel now turns freely. Be careful to not run the pump dry doing while doing it. Do you have the 580B service manual ?

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2022-09-18 09:29

    If what Tinkerer said works and the steering wheel turns freely then swap the two hoses on the right hand cylinder and see if that helps.

  6. #6ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 11:45

    The two lines go from the steering pump to the back of the valve body. Then theres 4 lines that come off the front of that valve body ..... 2 lines going to each seperate steering cylinder. Are you saying to remove the two lines feom the power steering pump that feed into the back of the valve body?

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-09-18 12:00

    No The two lines that supply oil to the steering cylinders. Lines #1 & #6 in the 2nd image franklin2 posted.

  8. #8ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 12:47

    My set up is little different

  9. #9ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 12:48

    My set up is little different View attachment 268364

  10. #10Tinkerer2022-09-18 13:50

    Yes it is. What I posted is correct for the set-up in the image he posted. Your image is correct for a 580B. Mark your hoses before you take them off so they go back where they belong. Remove the hoses that feed both cylinders and putem in a bucket(s). Then start the engine and determine if the the steering wheel now turns freely. Be careful to not run the pump dry doing while doing it.

  11. #11ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 13:54
  12. #12ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 14:02

    I will do that later this afternoon and advise the results. Thank you. Im assuming you are referring to hosed #5 and #6 in my illustration as feed lines. Sorry im not a hydraulic guy. Thank you

  13. #13ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 14:21

    I disconnected the #5 and #6 feed lines based on my illustration as you instructed. The steering turned freely but only turned to full lock right. When i tried turning to the left the steering turns but the wheels will not move at all.

  14. #14Tinkerer2022-09-18 16:57

    The wheels won't move if the hoses are off of the cylinders. The steering wheel will not act normal with the hoses off of the cylinders. The fact that it does turn freely with the hoses disconnected indicates one or both of the cylinders need serviceing. Unless something is preventing thw wheels from moving. With the hoses still off the cylinders, use the loader to raise the wheels off the ground and se if you can move them by hand. Don't let the steering pump reservoir go empty while doing any of this.

  15. #15ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 19:36

    I lifted the front end off the ground with front end loader. I attempted to turn the wheels with the engine running and withthe engine off by hand and not using steering wheel. Both times i was able to turn the wheels with very easy with hoses still disconnected. What do you think i should do? I just didn't want to throw money away by guessing at parts and throwing money away if its not necessary. I just cant understand how it worked before rebuild and doesn't work after installing the rebuilt engine.

  16. #16Tinkerer2022-09-18 20:36

    Ok, now you know the wheels turn like they should. Did any oil come out of the hoses when you turned the steering wheel with them disconnected from the cylinders ? Did you bleed the air out of it exactly as described in the service manual. Change the filter in it ? This is how it is done. No exceptions or you may damage the pump.

  17. #17melben2022-09-18 20:48

    Are you sure you have the main pump lines correct, that will happen if they are crossed

  18. #18ANGUS BEEF2022-09-18 22:58

    Some oil did come out when i turned the steering wheel with the lines disconnected. Where specifically is the filter for the power steering pump? I did not bleed the air as instructed as i did not install the pump. My mechanic installed it. Not sure how he bled them. I was told that the lines system could be bled possibly by cracking a line open on the steering cylinder after coming to full turn. Obviously that was incorrect. Tomorrow i will attempt what the manual says but i dont know about the filter location you speak of. Also Melben. I will double check the main pump connections too. Thanks for all your help so far.

  19. #19Tinkerer2022-09-19 07:59

    *9.

  20. #20franklin22022-09-19 12:00

    I know you need to heed all the warnings and cautions, but this system is more robust than you think. I had a leak on one of the my steering cylinders and more than once, the whole thing went dry. The only way I knew was starting the engine and I had no power steering. Put oil in it and cycled the steering back and forth and it was good to go. I finally got the leak fixed.

  21. #21ANGUS BEEF2022-09-20 04:57

    I would like to thank all of you for your help. The culprit was that the mechanic had the lines wrong on the pump itself. The two lines were switched. I changed those and followed tinkerers advice from Case Manual and problem is fixed. Happy it was simple. Had to look at schematic twice before i caught it. Thanks again. You guys are a great asset on this site.

  22. #22ANGUS BEEF2022-09-20 04:58

    I need to get an actual manual for this machine. Who makes the best one for reasonable cost thats accurate?

  23. #23franklin22022-09-23 09:50

    Here's an original manual for free download. https://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.as...) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS&SSSFName=CASE 580B