I have a 93 Construction King with a noisy transmission. It still runs fine. After it warms up, Intermittently it sequels like a power steering low fluid condition. It's getting more often and louder. I changed the fluid about 100 hours ago and it didn't make a difference. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a remedy ? Will it break eventually and leave me stranded ? thank you.
Welcome to HEF Harry. How did you check oil in tranny? What type of oil did you use? Do you have a service manual?
I checked it with the dip tick in the floor between the seat and BH control levers. I put in ~15 gal. of John Deere Hy-Gard, which was listed as an equivalent to Hy-Trans Ultra. Yes, I have both the Service manual and Parts Catalog.
Did you hear it making noise before you changed the oil 100 hours ago ? 15 gallons is a lot of oil to add to a transmission that only needs a little over 25. Is it leaking ? The parking brake would be my guess for the squeal.
I wonder if he is talking about the SK whine? How long have you had this machine, and did the noise start suddenly?
I drained the tranny fluid - it was brown! The manual calls for 48-58 Qts = 12-14.5 Gal. I overfilled a bit. I've had this machine 19 years. No, it didn't start suddenly. Getting worse over ~ 5 years. The manual recommended an additive B191443 - 1 Qt. but I wasn't able to find it or determine what it is. The machine has ~ 3000 hours on it. I really do appreciate the responses. Keep em coming.
Well, my backhoe finally died ! I was pulling large logs and the transmission was whining noisily. Then while going downhill in neutral – fast, after ~ 50 yards it locked up the wheels like I slammed on the brakes. Then when I put the shuttle in Fwd or Rev there was a short jerk but no motion. I raised it up off the wheels and tried again. Shuttle Fwd/Rev and clutch shutoff buttons on the shifter and loader stick = same, just a momentary jerk of the wheels. In neutral all four wheels turned freely. I used the dump truck to tow it up the hill in reverse ~200 yards and let it roll down into the shop ~ 50 yards. It’s a Case 580 Super K –Construction King. SN= JJGU162745 4x4, Extendahoe, 4-in-1 Loader. First thing I checked was the transmission fluid level behind the seat. It was at the ADD line. I added ~2 gallons of HY-Gard. No difference. I got out my service manual and looked up my symptoms. It looked like the torque converter or charge pump – Quite an extensive and costly repair ! A few days later I tried it again and it seemed to be working ! Fed/Rev a few feet =OK, then drove it around the property – always within reach of the dump truck in case I needed to tow it again. None of the transmission whining occurred during this trial. While backing up a steep hill it did it again – locked up the wheels and wouldn’t move. I put it in neutral , then Fwd and it moved. Rev and it worked, with the whining noise returning. So, my question is - Has anyone else experienced these symptoms , what’s my risk of getting stuck and, what could cause this ?
From your description of where you filled the transaxle & how much oil you used to fill it, you have the phase 3 transmission - which doesn't match your serial number?? Anyhow, you have yourself quite a problem..... It should be etched into the windscreen of every SK...but it isn't - you should NEVER, EVER, angel gear this transaxle . Reason being, the pinion shaft is oil pressure lubricated & when the machine is free rolling down a hill - at engine idle, with low oil flow, moving parts are getting little or no lube & things go wrong. In this instance, 4th gear is the smallest, it overheats & welds itself to the pinion shaft - permanently locking the transmission in 4th gear. When you select any other gear, the transmission has two gears engaged - which locks it up - not allowing drive. When your transaxle cooled down - you got lucky & the gear (4th) let go of the pinion shaft, allowing drive. However the mating surfaces are likely galled & when you tried it again, it locked up momentarily. I would think if you tried to drive this any distance, it would lock up again - maybe permanently. Technically speaking, when the lock up occurs, if 4th gear is selected, it will drive, but not when any other gear is engaged.
Alrman, Thanks for the lengthy explanation, which seems likely with my symptoms. My earlier prognosis of charge pump and torque converter was doubtful, because the loader had plenty of power scooping into a pile of dirt and rocks or dragging very heavy logs up a hill with the front wheels occasionally coming off the ground. I don’t have a windscreen – just rops & no sticker warning of rolling in neutral. You said ‘angel’ which I assume is Idle. I only use first and second gear. I just tried and was unable to engage third or fourth –AT ALL. The shift arm would not extend far enough to the right to move front or back. This weekend I did some light work and it worked normally, with the return of the transmission whining noise.