Hi First post. I've looked around a bit and decide to ask this question since I didn't find an answer searching. I just bought a 1973 case 580b backhoe. Got it cheap since the "torque tube" is cracked and oil leaks in a small river. Question: With little to no oil in the torque tube body can I start the engine and operate the hydraulic system for 1/2 -1 hour without harming the torque converter. As long as the shuttle and transmission are in neutral? Thanks Jim
No, why take a chance at burning bearings and damaging gears. Clean the crack and use some JB Weld to repair it. It may be temporary but it should hold the oil.
Welcome to HEF jamby. :drinkup Agree with Tinkerer...no. Additionally, on a 580B, the oil in the torque tube "is" the oil that operates the hydraulic system. No oil in torque tube = no hyd system.
The 580/580B hyd oil is in the loader frames and does not mix with the shuttle/torque tube. A pic of the crack would help to see what you have going on, have seen several welded or ground out with jb weld like said and patched. Have seen them cracked all the way around, down the lower center, and up threw the torque converter part of the bell housing. Most have the bolts loose between the engine and converter housing that take out the gasket and leak really bad.
Thanks Tinker and sheepfoot I'll get some oil and refill the torque tube before moving anything. There was a mass of JB weld on the sides of the case that I popped off with a chisel. Unfortunately the JB didn't hold the oil. First step is to wash everything up and try to find the spots its leaking out of. When I drove it home I noticed a second drip line that was heavy gear oil (transmission) but I have no idea where that's coming from. Looks like off center to the right side. Well that makes it two mysteries.
Ahh, you are correct sir, my mistake.
Talked with the old owner this morning and he said he used 85-140 gear oil in both the transmission and the torque tube. I'll try to get some pic's when the weather clears up, hopefully before spring. Been raining sideways for the last two days. Note: pacific northwest The old owner had used a epoxy product from a local marina to try and seal the leak. That held for about 3 months and then he took it to a local welder tried to weld the crack up. So far no luck.
Went out and checked both torque tube and transmission oils. Both were high on the stick and looked like a chocolate milk shake. So the shuttle has plenty of oil? in it. Can anyone tell me what is the correct oil to use in a Case 580b 1973?? Engine (Diesel) Steering Hydraulic Torque Tube Transmission Talked to another neighbor who attempted to weld the crack shut and was told not to try and save the case. So I have a used one coming from the east coast for lots of $$. And the heavy equipment mechanic that will do the work is coming by tomorrow to take a good look at the problem. When the work is done all oils in the machine will be change and flushed. Jamby