Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C 3rd and 4th gear

outlawspeeder ยท 2021-11-29 17:32

I rebuilt the Shuttle Transmission and was expecting better out of 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st or 2nd it will climb a steep hill with a load but in 3rd or 4th it will it will barely get rolling... Is that normal for 3rd and 4th? I have to drive this about 7 miles (road mostly) and really don't want to run in 2nd all the way there. The rebuild didn't include the torque converter but I would expect that to effect 1st and 2nd too?? Also just did a fluid change on it. Any thoughts of what to look at?

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-11-29 19:51

    Does the motor labor or lose rpms when it is in 3rd or 4th with accelerator to the floor ? Do you have any idea what the wot rpms are with the transmission in neutral ?

  2. #2Billrog2021-11-29 19:53

    I'd say from my experience that's normal until they came out with lock up converters.

  3. #3redranch2021-11-29 20:02

    Ya the C that I use to have was same way.Get up some speed shift to 3rd and fourth and would travel on level alright and a little grade but not much.

  4. #4outlawspeeder2021-11-29 23:33

    TY I was starting to think I screwed up on the rebuilt. I did have to replace the forward piston. It had broken had no power going forward.

  5. #5Delmer2021-11-30 00:10

    torque converter stall test is what you want to do. But yes, it seems normal to not go up any grade in 4th.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-11-30 07:02

    That condition is certainly normal. But without knowing how severe it is, I think a proper diagnosis of the wot engine speed and the torque convertor should be done to rule out any problem with them.