Hoping someone can clear up some confusion on my part. Reading too many posts about the coil on the case 580C power shuttle and confusing myself. Tractor has sat for years, fires up, there is oil in the power shuttle (dip stick level) Warmed up and everything seems to operate except the loader will not move forward or reverse. The owner said it used to work when parked. The Drive/neutral switch on dash, down to brake pedals to coil on transmission. If there is power to energize the coil, that puts the transmission in Neutral? Or does energizing the coil engage the transmission make the tractor move?
From what I underdtand, coil would be non- energized to drive. So if coil failed, wire broke, the machine would always drive. (transmission would be engaged) Am I understanding that correctly?
Did you check shuttle oil with engine running? Is the transmission in gear? Are you moving the shuttle lever forward reverse? Can you hear the shuttle change sound, rpm when engaged? Are the brake levers that operate the brake slave cylinders seized not allowing the brakes to release? Pick rear end off the ground with the stabilizers and see if you can turn the drive tires by hand. When I scored my C had to lube the crap out of brake linkage to get machine to move, also thought something wrong with shuttle or trans. Check that stuff first. Make sure to support machine, block wheels so you don't kill yourself blah, blah, blah....
I think you need the operators manual.
I understand what it does. What I am asking, When the coil is energized, does it put the transmission in Neutral? The wiring print I found, print would indicate, when the coil is energized, it would put transmission in Neutral. Which would seem backwards to me from a safety point. If the switch failed, coil failed, lost 12V for safety reasons, should fail safe. (transmission in neutral) From print, easiest way to test if switch / switches failed closed, would be to remove wire from coil. No meter needed. (the actual valve could be stuck but rule out the coil)
Clutch cutout solenoid. Power = neutral.
Yes, it puts it in neutral. You need to determine if the transmission valve is in the run position. If it is, there may be a problem in the differential. There is an outside chance that the bolts on the ring gear may be sheared or became loose and fell out.
The clutch solenoid has nothing to do with safety. It's just a convenience feature added to the tractor so you can rev the engine on the fly without moving the lever on the left of the steering wheel. For instance you have the engine running at a slow idle using the throttle pedal to move it forward and when you come up to a dump truck you want to load, you can activate the clutch solenoid, and then rev the engine to make raising the bucket faster to load the truck, without fighting the transmission and trying to hold the tractor back from moving forward. And no need to shift the fwd/rev lever to neutral.
So I'm in a position to disagree, I have a 580c solenoid is on left side when removedthe operating pin has to be pushed in to engage shuttle, on later models with coil on right pin has to be pulled to operate shuttle, so a later model replacement coil intended for a right side control is opposite for left in the size and strength of original coil, please tell me if I'm backwards but I'm looking at both and seems pretty cut and dried