Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Backhoe Thumb

outlawspeeder ยท 2020-08-31 03:16

I thinking about adding a thumb. I would like to make it Hydraulic. I bought this to clean out a ditch that runs though my property. The previous owner dumped tires, bikes, a shed to stop soil washing out. It still washed out and now most of it 10 foot down in the bottom. Lots of trees on both sides will need to be move too. My questions: 1. Is it safe to put a thumb on this old of a rig? 2. Is it worth to have a hydraulic thumb or just go with a manual? 3. Is there a hydraulic tap to hook it too on the 580C? 4. Weld or bolt the thumb on? 5. Pivot on the bucket pin or on the arm? 6. Should the thumb be ran from a spoil valve or solenoid? 7. Does any one make a kit that has all the parts? Thanks for the help.

Replies1
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-08-31 11:56

    Read this thread for a lot of your information. Willie B's thread covered it quite well. HeavyEquipmentForums