Well I ran into a new one over the weekend... I've been repacking pretty much all the cylinders on my 580C. Pretty typical experience; some come apart easy, others are a real PITA to get the gland nut off. This was one of those that had a really tough gland nut. I eventually got it off after applying heat, peening and using a 5' cheater. I've rebuilt the gland and was able to slip the rod through the wiper / outer seal just fine but the rod is extremely tight through the plastic wear ring. I cleaned the gland nut in my parts washer and even used a wire wheel inside to get all the crud / corrosion knocked down. I used the same kit and same technique when I built the other boom cylinder and had no problems. I used a dead blow hammer to persuade the rod through the wear ring (figuring maybe it was just a bit cockeyed and would free up once more of the rod had bearing on the wear ring). I don't want to hammer it past the seal and damage the seal but instead of getting easier, it's super tight. As in I can't even rotate it on the rod. Decided I had enough for the evening and came in. What gives? Is it possible the wear ring was out of spec and a little too thick? Guess the next step is to hammer the gland nut back off the cylinder and reevaluate but any pointers or advice is welcome. Edit: the part circled below in red is what I'm calling the wear ring. Not sure if that's the right term or not.
Thats the wear ring, Fasttrack. I had the same problem more than once. I simply reused the old one that I took out. They don't seem to actually wear much. I had one gland that had a layer of rust in the bore. I cleaned it until it was shiny and the new wear ring worked like it should.
Thanks, Tinkerer! There was definitely some rust in the bore but thought I got it all with the wire brush. Guess I'll knock it apart and clean it up some more. Glad to know I'm not crazy and that other people have encountered this before.
+1 on the wear ring seating area being rusty or pitted. A couple I used a 2” flapper wheel that I had to cut a little thinner to fit between the grooves.
Good idea HarleyHappy. I've got a couple I used to clean up the bore for the front axle king pin.