JCB 3CX with 4wd and LSD.. but last winter I got into a few slippery areas where I packed down snow and it wasn't fun. I'm trying to figure out if its cheaper to chain up the backhoe this winter, or just pay someone to plow the driveway. Front axle chains are ~$450, rear axle $600 (ie https://tirechain.com/19-5-24-tire-chains/ ) Anyone share experience on chaining just a single axle? I've chained just the drive axle on regular vehicles before, but unsure how a 'hoe will react to a single axle? thanks
Brakes are only one axle. I've run rear only 24 years. I imagined a backhoe is so heavy it didn't need tire chains. I learned very quickly that is NOT sound logic! Rear only is a real necessity in snow or ice. Four tire chains make it unstoppable.
I have chains for about everything I own. I would get rear if I was you. If you haven't had chains before you will be amazed at how they improve things. I guess it has enough room to clear the fenders ?
Those of us without the luxury of 4wd have managed to survive with just the rears chained up... Really, just get the rears if you're worried about getting stuck. I suppose the fronts might help steering a bit. The two hoes I have are both old enough that the balance is terrible. Keeping the fronts down enough for steering is generally my goal, so weights are more important than chains/traction. Now, picking the right chain pattern is a whole other discussion.
2 wheel drive I chained up the back once I got a 4WD only the front far easier to put on and off rear chains with a cross link every other link are far to heavy to handle easily. On the front only works just fine .
Speaking of chains, bolt on a rat tail now, so you don't need to go digging to hook up after sliding in the ditch.
No argument there... They get put on for the season on my 8N, and they stay there... Big ol' double ring mud chains... I have the same, only heavier for the JD300. Those stay in their crates unless I have a ridiculous winter, and need a loader to clear it. Once they go on though, they stay until sping.
On my little 15 hp 4x4 yanmar tractor, I put the front chains on first. It gives better steering when pushing snow. With all chained up, I pulled my 9000lb. Work van out of the ditch more than once in the winter after getting 3/4 the way to the top of the hill and then sliding back and off the side.