I've been looking for a backhoe for sometime to use to dig my footers and basement and put in my septic system and use for the construction on my new house. Also to use afterwards to maintain my long gravel driveway etc. I've located a late 70's 580c OROPS. It's by far the cheapest I've come across. Seems a little slow to dig but could be normal for this model machine. Seems strong as it would lift the machine and move it with the hoe. Also there appears to be some slack around the swing arm bushings. Noticed no leaking seals, brakes are in great shape, both work. Obviously it has some rust and none of the gauges work. Engine starts good and sounds good. My question is what are the opinions of this machine for what I want to do. Is the slack most likely worn bushings? If so is that a big deal? Current owner says he has replaced some bushings but on the boom. Replace ring and pinion a few years ago. Just a little nervous to drop the cash. All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
They are not bad for an old hoe, the slowness is probably just the machine, the old ones weren't as fast as the new. It being able to lift itself easily is a good sign. The slop could be pins and bushings for a few hundred dollars and a few hours work, or it could be bad. You might put a cheap oil pressure guage into a plug on the engine block and check that before you buy, but the best thing to do is find an old equipment mechanic to take with you. A young one probably hasn't ever messed with one.
Thanks for for the reply. I've located a 70's ** 50c that is about $3000 cheaper than the 580c. Any thoughts on Massey Furguson backhoes. While researching them I can't find out a lot about them.
Parts availability and price is my main worry on those. I personally didn't like them as much as the Cases, but I don't know as much about them, either.
That concerns me to. I can't even find any parts online for that machine.
I've got a 580C and bought it for the exact same reason as you. My septic is in. Porch footings next spring. I've got a 1/2 mile road to maintain and plow. So far it's been a great machine. I have not noticed it being slow at all. It digs like a bitch. I would recommend that machine all day long.