Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580c info needed

miner 54 ยท 2018-02-17 09:36

Hello, case 580c backhoe owners i need sum help please. Im a new owner of this 580c case machine id like to no all the basic maitenance to it from checking all fluid levels and check points, and filling them with the correct fluids please. Please shoot me any and all info u may know pics r better for location if u do have them. Any info woud be greatly appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1Grady2018-02-17 10:11

    You need a manual. They have most of the info and pictures you'll need. This place is more for answers to specific questions. The C is a nice machine. Good fluids, filters, and maintenance are important. Have fun with it.

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-02-17 11:25

    Go to this website and download the service manual. --------> http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/...MANUAL/Case 580CK Series C Service Manual.pdf

  3. #3miner 542018-02-17 18:38

    Hello, tinkerer, I would like to thank u very much for the info on 580c download, again thank u very much appreciated. I hav reviewed sum of it im just confused at wat engine oils and hydraulic fluids to use in todays world as to wat the specs were wen new per printing of this manual. Any info on the new oils to use today to match the old oils specified then. Like lets say tractor supply engine oil and hydralic oils. Theres just so many out there. Any more info on these oils again would be greatly appreciated. I thank u sir very much again. paul

  4. #4thepumpguysc2018-02-17 19:07

    Theres ALOT of BAD oils out there to run in a C.. not "really bad" but not compatible.. Wait just a few minutes/hours/ days & someone will chime in with what works & what doesn't..{hopefully} Your best learning tool is to check the "API" ratings on the oils & compare them to the manual.. ESPECIALLY w/ the transmission.. {shuttle} When I was helping my buddy redo his.. he bought 6 pails of O'reillys hydo oil, to put in dam near everything.. it worked out fine.. I warned him about doing the research, but ya cant argue w/ the guy buyin the parts.. if ya know what I mean..

  5. #5miner 542018-02-18 06:57

    Morning to all. I d also like to know if there is such a picture as to all fluid check points on the 580c within one picture itself. And all drains for each system. Also any info on none working dash guages and how to fix em. But for now id like to fill hydraulics glass with compatible fluid. And also change engine oil with compatible motor oil. Again thanks to all

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-02-18 07:32

    Just to be sure, is the engine a diesel or gas ? Need to know because each one has different specs. for oil. Hydraulic oil will depend somewhat on where you live. If you you are in a northern climate don't use a heavy weight oil or you will have starting issues in the winter. House brand oil is ok as far as I am concerned as long as it meets Case/CNH requirements. If it does it will most likely be stated on the bucket. If it isn't don't buy it. I don't know if there is any one picture showing all the drain and fill locations. Everything is in the service manual.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2018-02-18 07:45

    Tinkerer GAVE YOU the link.. MOST of 580 owners I know, BOUGHT the manuals @ a huge cost.. Your already way ahead of the game w/ the manuals IN HAND.. What your asking is, for us to do the homework for ya.. IF I had the info, I would give it to ya, but that just the way I am.. others aren't built the same way. Its kinda like asking, how do I check the oil in my car?? Open the owners manual & LOOK IT UP..

  8. #8Grady2018-02-18 07:46

    I've never seen one picture that shows all fluid check and drain points - doesn't mean there isn't one though. Case recommends their TCH fluid for the hydraulics but you can use 5w or 10w engine oil depending on above or below 32 degrees. I've seen people use vegetable oil in hydraulics. I don't think the hydraulic oil is as critical as something like the transmission. I wouldn't use anything except Case TCH in there if you have the power shuttle. Since I have to buy it for the shuttle, I use it for the hydraulics and power steering too. Engine oil was originally 10w, 20w, or 30w depending on temp. but now I use the 15/40 multigrade year round and put a magnetic stick on heater to thin it out when it gets really cold.

  9. #9franklin22018-02-18 08:26

    I have a case 480c, a smaller version of what you have. Mine is a diesel, I use the 15w40 diesel oil available at the parts stores, works fine. For hydraulic oil, I buy the cheap stuff at the Tractor supply and Rural King. I have some leaks on mine here and there, and this oil seems to work best to keep it full. For the shuttle I use the little bit more expensive oil from Tractor Supply. Instead of just hydraulic fluid they call it universal Trans/Hydraulic fluid. It does smell different, and works fine for the shuttle. The steering has it's own reservoir on the steering pump. I have a serious leak on one of the cylinders I am working on, and I have been putting power steering fluid and or hydraulic oil in that to keep it going. You need a 80/90w gear oil for the transaxle. I haven't messed with that on mine.

  10. #10miner 542018-02-18 19:20

    Hi franklin thats for the info i think im leaning towards the 15-40 diesel motor oil at tractor supply for the 580c. im just not sure as to where all the fluid levels get checked at and filled. oil filter im sure i can get at a napa store here. i know tractor supply has different hydraulic oils in stock, think i seen travelers brand yellow color bucket and black color 5 gal bucket if i remember the yellow bucket was the cheaper of the 2. And thats wat u use in the 480 u hav and all is fine for u. Thank u very much for the info u gav me. Very much appreciated. I think my hydraulics and trans r separate tho on the 580. so i guess i to could use the cheaper hyd oil there cannot see hydraulic oil level in the site glass at this time. Thats y id like to get the correct oil it needs. Again thank u very much for r knowledge on the hoe.

  11. #11Tinkerer2018-02-18 21:00

    Here is a link for the operators manual miner54. About page 64 is where the oil information starts. Use the arrows located on the left and right of the preview bar to quickly scroll to the page you want. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1212457/Case-580-Ck.html#manual

  12. #12franklin22018-02-19 19:03

    I use the cheap yellow bucket for the hydraulic system, and the more expensive black bucket for the shuttle transmission. Double check your specs, but if I remember correctly the shuttle on my 480c took exactly 2 gallons. So I drained it from underneath, took the cast cover off, and cleaned it out and made sure the pickup screen was clean. I then put it back together, and instead of getting the 5 gallon black bucket, I got two 1 gallon jugs. They pour in the dipstick tube like a car does with a funnel. So I didn't have to worry about the oil level, I just poured both jugs in it. Big difference, it used to be sluggish when it was cold, but after the oil change it clunks in gear with authority. I think you said you have seen your hydraulic oil reservoir sight glass? It's on the left side between the engine and the front of the cab. My sight glass is cloudy also. So I just unscrew the sight glass. Thing of it is, I have never gotten it completely full yet, and I have had it and used it for about a year now. I have had many leaks here and there, and I keep pouring 5 gallon jugs in it. It runs fine, and I am hoping another 5 gallon jug will fill it to the sight glass, but it must hold alot of oil.

  13. #13Tinkerer2018-02-19 19:26

    Page 63 shows this and more ---->