I drained the oil, which has built up water from sitting forever before I got it and got it running. How do I get all the rest of the milky oil out of the cylinders and drained so I can fill it up with new? I drained about 10 gallons. Here's what it looks like:
It won’t work. Just change it partially until the oil is clean.
^^^^^^ What? Search this forum and you will find your answer. Hold HeavyEquipmentForums
Try that, it works. If you want to change it or alter procedure, just ask.
A complete system flush is the only way to get it back to normal. From the service manual -->
Anyone know if there's a non-Case hydraulic filter optionso I can get it from Napa, not Ca$e?
Use the case part number and cross it to a napa filter online.
If there's that much water in the lines, it's not a horrible idea to change out the filter anyway I guess, there might be cats living in there somewhere.
I flushed mine once a while ago and seemingly didn't get it all. On another attempt after repacking the boom cylinder I did it again and got it a little better. It's a pain in the butt to release all lines one at a time, basically, to clear all the water out. It's also a lot of hydraulic fluid, but I think my first attempt I was using a significantly more expensive type. Search around, though Harley left a good link, there are others that get very detailed. @Tinkerer also has a good description.
You may need some mice in there to keep those cats fed.
I read somewhere if you have moisture still in there (some small amount), it will bake off if you run it in hot weather. But it's a closed system, how would the moisture get out? I was kind of hoping a bunch of water would drain out of the drain plug leaving decent oil, but I got a milkshake instead. I think I'll loosen up all the hydraulic lines I can find and run around with a bucket catching it all. I only have a box scraper, so that's way easier than a hoe I think.
Here's how much slop this thing has: Does the adjuster fork come off the end of the track adjuster cylinder, or is that all one piece? The idler wore a slot in it I have to weld, would be easier if it wasn't still on the dozer.
Okay, I have the nice shiny new idler: Here's the adjuster, I can't see how it would come apart into multiple pieces, is there a way to get the end off so I can weld it without taking out the ram somehow?
Okay, I got the idler off, trying to figure out the mount assembly, here's what's left of the old one: It doesn't look much like the new assembly, which has these parts: So would this be the way I assemble these (the flop upside down and slide onto track)? BTW, once I got the idler off, the adjuster fork just slid out as an assembly like this, which will make it easier to take down and get welded:
My understanding is as the fluid gets hot, the moisture 'boils' maybe evaporates but otherwise, seperates itself from the oil and then while in the tank, would have chance to escape via your vent. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
oh shoot, posted these to the wrong forum, doh! Meanwhile, I was able to swap the hydraulic filter, drained some lines and will fill the 580C back up with hydraulic oil shortly.