Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580c no fuel to injectors

rdemkowicz ยท 2014-07-18 21:43

I have a case 580c that worked great last fall and will not start now. To be sure fuel is getting to stanadyne injection pump, I put a 1 1/2" x 12" long pvc tube on the inlet to the fuel injection pump (before filter screen). Filled with 1 + cup (10 oz) of clean diesel and started cranking. Cranked for 5-10 sec intervals over two hour time period so I didnt burn up starter. Fuel injection lines to #1 &#3 cyls. were open but no fluid was pumped out. No fluid is in return lines or in upper pump body (checked by removing return line fitting with glass ball). Any ideas?

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2014-07-18 22:30

    Is the fuel shutoff cable working properly? The little plunger pump in the head may be gummed up. Possible the pump head seized, when they do that the pump shaft snaps, there's a narrow section in the shaft that acts as a fuse to protect the gear train. There's a little rectangular plate on the side of the pump held on with two screws, pop that off and have someone (or use a remote starter button) crank her over and watch to see if the one round plate with the timing mark moves, I think the one that rotates is the one closer to the head, can't recall for sure.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2014-07-19 07:08

    Could be the metering valve is stuck in the shut-off position.. ALWAYS, ALWAYS push the cable/knob back in after it shuts off.. All you have to do is>> Shut-off the fuel.. remove the side cover[2 screws] to drain the fuel from the pump.. remove the top cover [3scews].. work the shut-off cable.. see the "cam" moving on the shaft?? its supposed to be hitting another arm.. that's the metering valve.. you can usually get it to free-up with your fingers.. it should move VERY freely, back and forth.. Good luck. OH, while the top cover is off and pump is drained.. look for BLACK "coffee ground" looking substance in the corners of the housing.. if you see any it gonna be time for a pump O/H..

  3. #3rdemkowicz2014-07-19 08:01

    Im sorry, it was late and I left out some information. The cup of fluid was drawn out of the reservoir pipe and through the pump, but it did not go to the injectors or pump return line / fittings (I opened both while cranking and did not see any fluid). I'm thinking there is a large tear in the shaft seals and diesel is just getting pumped into the crankcase. Your thoughts please. Thank you.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2014-07-19 08:30

    All you have to do is pull the dipstick and check the oil level.. The shaft seals don't tear unless they were put in wrong.. they get hard and wear a groove into the brass pilot tube in the pump hsg.. and fuel enters the crank case.. CHECK the dip stick and then the metering valve..

  5. #5rdemkowicz2014-07-19 10:06

    THANK YOU for responding so quickly, I really appreciate it. Dipstick appears to not be going up. Finally have diesel in return lines after a cup of fuel was pumped through the pump. Two of the three screws holding top cover on pump don't want to budge. Trying to get some penetrant in the bottoms of the screw holes so I don't break the screws. will keep spraying lube on them for 2 days while I keep trying to start it and then will try loosening them again. Small puffs of white smoke are exiting the muffler when I crank the engine. No smell to the smoke, hoping its not antifreeze. Timing mark seen through hole in bell housing aligns (off a hair, but close) with timing mark in pump (under two screw cover window). Again, thank you for your expertise.

  6. #6Delmer2014-07-19 21:25

    Sounds like you're almost there. Keep priming it until you don't get any air out of the injector lines, then close them up. Did you hook it back up to the fuel tank?

  7. #7Ronsii2014-07-19 23:45

    Before you pull the cover off the pump make sure the engine area around and above the pump is spotless!!! I usually pressure wash the entire engine before opening an injector pump as it doesn't take much dirt to fall into it while open and then your pump is shot. also a small hammer and punch/bit tapped down on the screw heads will usually loosen them up.

  8. #8rdemkowicz2014-08-24 11:00

    looking for good pump repair shop Thank you to all who responded to my requests for information. After reading through many posts and pursuing possible fixes, I am fairly sure that the pumping plungers are stuck. My final observation is the pump is getting fluid and is pumping it out the return line rather than to the fuel injectors. This was determined by removing one of the injection lines off the pump along with the return line at the pump elbow. Now I am looking for a shop in the Rochester, NY area or sending it to Thepumpguy in SC to rebuild. So, if Thepump guy could contact me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you. [email protected]

  9. #9Tinkerer2014-08-24 11:37

    Find one of the pumpguysc's posts. Left click on his name, and his profile will show you hoe to email or private message him.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2014-08-25 21:40

    IF he EMAIL'S MY HOE.. He's gonna get ALOT MORE than "answers"...LOL... Thanks TINK.. we've already talked..