Hello all. I just joined this group and am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. My grandfather left me his 1978? Case 580C backhoe. It has been sitting for about a year. It never had any issues before. So.... it fired up and ran perfect then sputtered out. I drained the fuel and realized there was a lot of sludge in the tank. I changed the fuel filters. Same problem. Run and then die. So I replaced the injectors and had the injector pump rebuilt. I got her fired up and she ran for about 2 min or so. She was blowing white smoke for a while and then it more to normal. She idle high for a second or two and then back to normal. 10 seconds later she sputtered out. I cannot get her start again. There were no strange engine noise. There is smoke coming out of the stack while trying to crank. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Check your fuel return line for blockage. If the pump can’t return, it won’t run.
Thank you. I will give that a check
The return line has to be clear, all the way back to the tank.. Easiest to remove the tank cap and back blow the line.. from the line off the inj pump, back to the tank.. listen for bubbles.. It’s also possible that you have a return connector problem.. Once the line is clear and it still won’t run, try removing the FIRST FITTING that comes off the top of the inj pump.. and start the engine to see if it’ll stay running.. Fuel WILL come out of the pump after starting so be prepared for that.. If it stays running, clean out that fitting… it has a ball and spring in it..