Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c tachometer troubleshooting

PaulMckee · 2022-03-27 10:17

My tachometer working fine prior to removing the console and instrument cluster to access the brake master cylinders for replacement. After repair and reassembly, the tachometer no longer works. The rpm needle in the tach gauge is not responsive and is pegged out on the highest rpm side. Curious now about what may have happened there. The cable is fully engaged/seated into the back of the tachometer and as is the main electric plug. Any ideas about what may have happened or how to further troubleshoot? Many thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-03-31 22:17

    Remove cable and examine to make sure it installed correctly, sometimes the inner part of cable will miss the hole in tach.

  2. #2PaulMckee2022-04-01 07:30

    Thanks Cory. Can you confirm that the Tach functionality is all mechanical via that cable. I’ll check again on drive alignment but was careful upon install to stab it. Maybe it did slip to side of slot, but it pushed up normally and clipped. I was a little concerned about the integrity of the main electrical connection. Thanks again.

  3. #3melben2022-04-01 09:00

    Double

  4. #4melben2022-04-01 09:01

    The Tach is strictly mechanical.

  5. #5Edward Reifschneider2022-05-26 14:45

    Have you run the engine to see if the Tach cable is turning? They are easy to replace using a universal auto speedometer cable if it isn't.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-05-26 16:24

    Welcome to HEF, Edward !

  7. #7Nick22023-10-06 15:19

    Hello. Have absolutely no luck locating Case 580C Tach Drive Gear. Neither Case nor anyone I’ve contacted can help . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated …. Case part #137572

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2023-10-06 18:55

    That part number should be A137572, type it in on google or bing and you can find one.

  9. #9Nick22023-10-06 19:22

    Coy , thank you for responding. I had already found that part number in the Case parts catalog . The price for the part which is the size of your thumb costs over $1,300 ! Additionally, Case can’t find the part in any of their facilities nor is there an updated part number … I am looking for the part in every after-market supplier I can find . If you come across any additional information I’d love to hear about it. Your input is greatly appreciated ..

  10. #10Tinkerer2023-10-06 23:24

    You could install an electronic tachometer for $125.00. Diesel Tiny-Tach | Design Technology, Inc., Home of Tiny-Tach Diesel Tiny-Tach. An hour-meter for diesel engines. www.tinytach.com

  11. #11Nick22023-10-07 07:38

    Hi Tinkerer . I am not familiar with a electronic tachometer. Could you please provide more information about how it works and where to find one. Hopefully it could be read from within the cab . Thank you

  12. #12Nick22023-10-07 07:55

    My apologies Tinkerer ….. I just found the link that you included in your response ! Thank you for your help …

  13. #13Laker822024-12-17 16:41

    My A137572 is fine. The D68851 cable is broken inside the sheath. A short stub of the cable is sticking out of the A137572. It will not pull out, looks like the cable has twisted inside and jammed. I assume the cable should just slide in and out easily. Cut off and drill out ? Pulling hard seams like a bad idea.