Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580CK power steering fluid change

flyingfrog509 ยท 2010-07-07 11:33

Sorry if this is covered in the service manual...I still haven't gotten one yet. PayPal is such a pain...but that is another story. Any how the short of it is that when I opened up the power steering pump to check levels the fluid looks kind of brownish and maybe a bit milky. Old for sure. So either way I'm assuming a fluid change now will hopefully hold off on problems. It looks like hydo fluid not like car/truck power steering fluid (is that normal)? Really I should be asking... 1) What is the best fluid to refill it with 2) What is the best way to empty the power steering system 3) Any dangers I should be aware of where I could hurt myself if I do something wrong? (like fluid shooting out at 2000psi that would cut my arm off like a water jet or other crazy stuff) Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1allniterunner2010-07-08 11:01

    FWIW I purchased both the owners manual CD and the Service manual CD from EBay and they were both pretty vague about doing any fluid changes. Good luck, I'm looking forward to any information. jim

  2. #2melben2010-07-08 20:46

    The early PS oil was TCH Case, the oil I use now is HTU Case. Hytra Ultra is just a bit heavier than TCH but has worked many years in that application. Mel