I have a Case 580CK (with power shuttle) and am having an issue with the left wheel locking up. It was an intermittent problem that now has the machine not able to move in either direction. The right wheel will turn and will push the tractor in a circle, but I can't get the left one to move. I took apart the left brake and tried to get it to move without the pads installed. No luck. When the problem was intermittent, I could usually get the wheel to unlock by reversing direction. You would hear a "clunk" and the wheel would start to move. It sounds like it is a mechanical issue (like there is a gear that is catching) to me. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on where to start with the troubleshooting? Thanks in advance! Chip
is it 4x4,,,if it is ouch
no, only 2 wheel. And I forgot to mention, it is a 1968 model year.
So you removed this part? Phil
sounds like the bull gear is missing a tooth.
It could be a tooth on the bull gear but more than likly it is a tooth broken off of the side gear that drives the bull gear. You should be able to remove the rear transaxle cover and see what is going on pretty easily.
Phil - I removed the cover and the brake pads, but not the piece you pictured. I found a problem with the brake pads (the linkages were rusted together). Rhino Trannys / Goose - Thanks for the info, I will pull the cover this week and take a look and report on the results.
hmmm... So I removed the differential cover to inspect the bull gears and found a few interesting things. 1) the breather on the cover was completely clogged. Will replace this. 2) when the cover came off, the underside of the cover was covered in condensation (a function of the clogged breather) 3) i had a milkshake for transmission fluid (though I just changed it two months ago and the tractor is covered when not in use) Good news, the bull gear is fine. Bad news, the left side still wouldn't turn. After checking the bull gear, I pulled the brake housing again, and to my surprise, the wheel would spin. Phil - you were on the right track with removing the brake drum. It must have been pushing against the housing. Enough about that here. I will make another post about the brake questions I have. Thanks for the help guys!
I have a 580 CK also. When I parked it for the winter once I had my foot on the brake. The pads were then against the brake housing nice and tight. Come spring they were froze together, It was a bear getting it apart to do a brake job. Moral to the story, when parking for the winter or long periods of time coast to a stop, drag bucket, anything but pushing on brake pedal.
i have an 1980 580b with same problem i joined this site because you guys know your stuff thanx for all info i hope my wheel stops locking up im gonna check my brakes first
my dirrerential lock isnt working when i press on pedal nothing happens i was hoping it was the brakes cause my left wheel was kinda of locking up next day it was freed up until i took the first turn then the clunking i would touch the left brake and the tire will lock quickly. when i pressed the right brake nothing was there i could reverse and the locking grinding would stop. the tractor sat almost a year before being parked, the diff would work most of the time. i have been reading forums and posts and this post sounds just like my problem and i remembered my diff lock wasnt working the differential bolts to the brakes? so my question is do i start with the brakes or is this a differential problem? thanx for any help
Your differential lock isn't working because all the linkage inside the brake housing is froze up. Easy fix, take it apart and clean up and replace what is necessary. That differential lock is very handy. I would start with the brakes, sounds like something is binding up in the brake mechanics. And if that doesn't work there are a lot of people a lot smarter than me on this forum that can help. I fixed mine a few years back, a one time job and ,my memory fades a little.
If you raise the rear wheels off the ground & turn the wheels by hand, does it have any noises? Wheel should turn smoothly.
when i raise the wheels right tire moves freely but left tire does not make full rotation when the right wheel spins. the right tire needs more muscle to move but it does when the right moves the left moves with it. i tried pulling the brake pedals up and just driving and no noises drove fine but as soon as i touch brake the clunking and locking comes back. i need the tractor for a few more days before i can afford to pull the brakes off. i read in other posts if the diff sticks then drive in a figure 8 pulling up on diff foot pedal i just pulled up on it and tried not to touch anything so i could atleast move it. it worked with no noises, no brakes, no lock ups.
thanx orville i think you hit the nail on the head
HI guys newbie here. I cant post my own thread so i hope you don't mind me butting into this one. I do have a similar problem to what you are talking about. i have a 1968 Case 580 D with a shuttle problem. I initially trouble shot the hydraulic portion of the shuttle trying to find the problem. Changed fluids and filter, nothing. Referenced manual and connected pressure gauge to test ports. All three had adequate pressures for the RPM of the engine as called out in the manual. When i engage the forward or reverse the shuttle stops rotating and the engine labors. I can see the shuttle rotate because i made a cover out of plexiglass. So i switched to see if there are any mechanical problems. I didn't notice any except for the fact that when i engage the posi traction lever i can no longer spin the wheels. They lock hard and i cannot make them rotate for any reason. The shuttle does not seem to rotate either. Any ideas what might be jammed or stuck that would cause this? Or is that normal and i should be looking elsewhere?!?!
Welcome to HEF Richie580D! Couple of clarifications are required, 580D's were from the early 80's, from what you describe about a plexiglass lid on your shuttle you would have a 580CK or a CK'B'. 'Posi traction ' lever, would be the FWD/ REV lever? If the wheels are not turning it would be normal for the shuttle to stop turning while stalled. Your problem is most likely in the transaxle, either - 1) brakes are locked up ( rusted up or balls are off the ramps in the expanders on one side & maybe the diff lock is stuck on :beatsme) 2) 2 gears (4 speed) have been engaged at the same time ( fault with gear selector - not explain why wheels are not turning) 3) catastrophic failure in the gearbox/differential area. (you hope not)
OK my mistake for not clarifying, What i have is a 1968 Case 580 CK Diesel Tractor. The posi traction "pedal" as i should have called it is the pedal on the right aft of the two brake levers. I have already repaired a jammed brake housing and those balls you are talking about, i have removed and replaced, real pain to get off the splined shaft due to what seemed to be 20+ years of corrosion! I am interested in what what you said about the two gears being engaged at the same time, how is that possible and do you have a manual reference for adjusting that gear shifter? i do not believe that the differential is failed due to free turning when posi traction pedal released. Both large gears spin, but the center bevel gear does not. when i rotate the wheels back and forth i can see slight movement from most of the gears in the gear shifter box and the shuttle clutches wiggle back and forth as well. I have the factory repair manual and parts manual that came with the machine so if you can guide me to where a reference to adjusting that shifter it would be great , i have not seen a procedure thus far but maybe I'm missing something. Personal note:::: Its funny to actually speak with you alrman, Ive had many issues with this machine lately and Ive been googleing my problems and have never had any luck with any forums except this one. i have consulted threads from you self most often! I also got a good tip or two from Phil with the grey cat on his picture... from the other threads Ive read i guess he still has not been heard from? Any way it is great to be on this forum its a wealth of solid information!
Sounds like you have a hydrostatic drive model - this will not have a 4 speed gearbox. I also have 0 % experience with these, as I am not even sure they made it to AUS. Do you have any pictures of the machine & the pedal configurations? + I am a little confused about the shuttle description, any pics through the looking glass? PS - I could recall an old discussion similar, this may help - HeavyEquipmentForums
im going to get pics today when i get out of work, it is not hydro static, im going to open a new thread also when i get home ill let you know what i title it.