Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580D (207D engine) black smoke

turbotech ยท 2012-01-09 15:46

Ever since I got this 580D turbo it would black smoke too much during start up. It also has black smoke during accel and decel. Way more than the any 580 I have ever seen. I am going to rebuild the injection pump with a kit from usdiesel.com Is there an o-ring or something else that would cause the excessive fuel? I can post up a short video if this site allows that. This thing has a very strong fuel smell and you can see the black billow at start, accel, decel, and even constant throttle seems rich but not as bad.

Replies14
  1. #1jimg9842012-01-09 17:04

    could be a seal on oil supplied bearing on the turbocharger

  2. #2Bill Smith2012-01-09 20:28

    I had this happen on a Detroit diesel and it turned out to be weak injectors dripping into the combustion chamber after it sits for even a very short time . Our Teckies put the injectors on a bench preasure test to find small driplets . When the engine is shut down the injectors will still have preasure on them .In an old Detroit 4 or 6-71 the injectors were all spring loaded then sprayed by acttuated tappets similar as engine valve tappets. Start ups black smoke / let it run on low rpms and put the pedal to the plush and black smoke . New injectors fixed her up .

  3. #3thepumpguysc2012-01-09 21:47

    YUP, a "gasket kit" isnt going to fix a smoking problem. TRY MOVING THE PUMP..{ADJUSTING THE TIMING** DONT DO IT while its running!!! AND BOTH suggestion are on the right path..[turbo/injectors] One or 2 is less costly than 3.. Remove the boot from the turbo and check the "up and down' MOTION OF THE SHAFT.. While you have it OFF..LOOK for OIL[sucking into the engine] IF OK.. Pull the injectors..only costs a couple of bucks to have them checked..TELL THE CHECKER, your looking for BLACK SMOKE{stuck injector** PERSONALLY I would adjust the timing FIRST!! "O" COST.. THEN check the turbo, "O" cost..OR VISEA VERSA

  4. #4willie592012-01-09 21:55

    Seems turbotech is logged out for now and can't respond, so I thought I would add that I don't think a 580D came fitted with a turbo.

  5. #5turbotech2012-01-10 01:54

    You are thinking along the lines that I am. The turbo is perfect. It has zero end to end play. The radial is a few thousands. The comp outlet is clean as a could be. No oil leaking at the comp piston ring seal. It is a pump or injector problem. I think it is the pump because it does not have too much fuel at constant rpm. A leaking injector would be causing a lot of fuel all of the time. I was going to try timing the pump first. I was wondering if there was a common o-ring that went causing accel/decel smoke. The engine is a 207D turbo. It was the first year turbos were installed in the Case 580. It is a "Super D".

  6. #6ruoyun2012-01-10 03:34

    As a national online printing company, we provide instant pricing, online ordering, and file uploading. Our business scope covers the printing of books, magazines, posters, folders, wall calendars, desk calendars, package boxes, handbags, as well as various materials needed for enterprise market promotion. httw.book-printer.net/ MOD EDIT This post is spam but was intentionally left here

  7. #7Bill Smith2012-01-10 06:51

    What who is this guy?.Are you lost ? Wrong forum pal .

  8. #8CM19952012-01-10 07:08

    Bill, in the future please don't respond to obvious spammers in the threads. It makes it harder for us Mods to clean them up and get them out of here. Just hit the little caution sign (report post) button under your name box, tells us it is or might be spam and all the Mods get a PM alerting them to check it out. Thanks, CM

  9. #9DirtIsMyName2012-01-11 10:48

    Can someone help me understand this? I would expect to see gray smoke from a bad turbo seal. How do you end up with black smoke from a turbo seal? Does the leaking motor oil cool the combustion or something? I would expect gray or white smoke if it was cooling combustion. Black smoke makes me think excessive fuel or maybe air restriction. I could understand black smoke if a turbo wasn't blowing air but the pump was still pumping extra fuel. But don't most pumps sense pressure from the turbo to increase fuel supply? Is the motor oil just extra fuel?

  10. #10joispoi2012-01-11 15:08

    A leaking injector will give you smoke on startup and a bad spray pattern will send raw fuel into the combustion chamber where it burns incompletely and comes out as black smoke. The fuel smell is from raw fuel passing through the combustion chamber.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2012-01-12 07:25

    Dirt> The "BLACK SMOKE" is produced from engine oil, that lubricates the tubo, leaking past the sealing ring and pumping it into the engines combustion chamber.

  12. #12turbotech2012-01-12 09:42

    Thank you for the help. I had the charge pipe off it and all is clean. The radial and axial play on the turbine shaft is excellent. I wish is was just a comp piston ring causing the problem. I will look at the timing this weekend. If it looks fine then I will pull the injectors and have them tested next week. Is just a "pop" test sufficient?

  13. #13thepumpguysc2012-01-12 14:29

    Yes A compatent injector tester will test for, spray pattern, opening pressure, chatter and nozzle leakage.

  14. #14Bill Smith2012-01-13 22:14

    Sorry guys didn't mean to make a comment about some outsider spammer I guess I got told off in front of the class . God forbid