Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580D

Kenracz ยท 2025-03-16 17:44

My machine is not charging my battery. I took the alternater to a NAPA store and they tested it for me 2 times and both times it said it was good and that I did not need a new alternator. I can jump start the machine, or I can charge the battery and put it in and it will start. I had the battery tested and it was ok too. On the dash the volt meter was good when I started the machine (in the green). If I shut off the machine it will not strart. HELP!

Replies3
  1. #1Billrog2025-03-16 19:32

    Clean both the ends of the ground and positive cable really well. An alternator with a bad diode will charge but if stops in the right place can bleed back when the engine is off and drain the battery.

  2. #2Kenracz2025-03-16 21:19

    Hi, The battery terminals are clean. I am assuming that you mean the wires at the alternator. I do have the complete book for the machine and have been reading about the alternator and voltage regulator. I will go and check all the wires first to see that they are clean as you suggest and try that first. I do not have a load tester to perform the test. The regulator is about $11. So I may wait till the weather clears and pull the alternator out and take it apart and replace the regulator if I am still having the problem. Thank You Ken

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-03-17 02:21

    Check your alternator for AC volts with lights and heater on at about 3/4 throttle. It will indicate a bad diode that could drain your battery. You want less than .5 volts. Learned this from Simon C on the forum. I had .112 AC volts which indicated no bad diodes and alternator good. Good idea to blow out the alternator as well.