Case 580d brake pedals stuck. I drove it around yard to see if would loosen up but started smelling brakes, I shut it down. I was looking at replacing cylinders but wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what might be wrong before I started buying and working. Thanks
brakes The first thing is to remove both master cylinder caps, The 580d and sd used tch or dexron in the system. If the fluid smells like dot 3 or looks like dot 3 it will swell the seals in both the master cylinders and the slave cylinders over the brake housings. If the brake pedal center link is hooked, release it and check each pedal that they move and return fully up. Check the parking brake lever that it's all the way down and the cable has free travel at the cross shaft. The cross shaft moves the linkage up on the brake housings manually(just like the slave cylinders do to apply the brakes) if the parking brake cable is not free with the parking brake handle down it will hold the brakes on. The machine has two different internal brake systems, without a turbo has the drum,disc, bands. With a turbo it only has the discs. The thing needed first is fluid type, next pedal movement, sticking on shaft under dash or seals in master cylinder swelled and not allowing plunger movement. Is there any free travel in either pedal while locked or unlocked. Linkage from brake pedal to plunger pins and yoke loose and not stuck causing a bind at the brake pedals. You are the eyes that will guide your help. More if needed.
Thanks for the help. I will check those things when I am able to get back on it. Hopefully by next weekend. All help is welcomed if you think of anything else. Thanks