Also, what model numbers were from the early 70s? What are the important numbers to get off the equipment? TIA Harry
I found these numbers on a sticker near the Ignition switch, Mod 440-, S/N 455818. These numbers were on the loader frame, mod 71, S/N 2552. Does this tell me anything about what I have? I need to order manuals and parts. Thanks Harry
If it is from the early 70's it should be right behind your right heel as you are sitting on the machine. The numbers you gave sound like component numbers.
Nothing there Bill. I looked for signs that maybe a tag had been there, but nothing. Thanks Harry
This might not be helpful, but on my 89 JD 410 the tag is on the loader frame just above the left front wheel.
Thanks Dean. Mine has a tag close by where yours is. It has Model 71 and S/N 2552. Does yours have the same, like Model 410 and then a S/N? I have a sticker on the switch key panel that has Model 440- and S/N 455818. Do you have that? I have called two dealers and got very little help in where I can find out what I have. Mostly they want me off the phone and gone :>) I need a John Deere backhoe Guru. At the John Deere web site, when I try to email a question, it won't go without my state being entered, but the form won't accept an entry. My bet is I'll get an answer here before official John Deere provides anything, after all this is a very old backhoe. Harry
I have another clue, my backhoe has a GM POWER deisel engine. I doubt there were many made without JD engines, but what do I know? Thanks Harry
A Deere loader/hoe with a Detroit in it??? Man you've got to send a picture of this thing.
Not good with photos, here is my first try.
Nice pics! Can you get a shot of the other side of the engine? I'm going to take a guess that it's a 3-53 Detroit. I'm also going to take another guess; I think you might find the tractor ID plate somewhere on the transmission housing or at the very rear around the area where the axle housings bolt to the trans housing.
Now this is interesting. I never knew J/D used Detroits in their tractors before. I've got a hunch they used the Detroit before they developed their own diesel. I did a little Googling and I think what you have is a J/D 300 series industrial tractor fitted with a loader and backhoe. It looks a lot like a converted ag tractor. Here's a link that has a picture, click on the thumbnail for a bigger version. They list a 3 cyl J/D diesel, but I wonder if the first ones had the Detroit? Very interesting!
I could not find another tag, but I found hyd leak # 7, but, so far only one cylinder. Engine pictures are near impossible until I remove the hood. However, I took a left and right. You can see a tag in the left shot, Mod 71, s/n 2552. The other blurred tag is under the Ign key, mod 440-, s/n 455818. I tried to feel on top of the IP to count injection lines but could only reach two. I tried on the left side to count exh ports but no can do. This thing is built like a tank and has very impressive fit and finish. I've only found one pin that shows wear, bottom bucket pin.
OK, looking at the notches cut in the hood, I'm thinking this engine is a transplant. When I googled the J/D model 71, it came back as a planter, model 440 is a crawler tractor so I don't think those are the one's you're looking for.
Wow that's a small engine! I'm going to retract my statement and say it might be a two cyl at best! That looks like the exhaust manifold behind the power steer pump. Yeah Steve, maybe someone took the original gas engine out and put a little Detroit in it. That's still interesting.
Transplant, that would explain a lot. That tag that has model 71 is attached to the loader frame, are planters made in the same fashion? I'm a city boy. Thanks Harry
Well, I Googled a Model 71 loader and I think I've found your machine. It seems you may have a Model 440 industrial tractor, built in 1958, 1959 and 1960. The Detroit Diesel was an option, though the one pictured does not have the hood notched like yours. This is turning into an interesting thread! And no, there's no resemblance between a planter and loader. I'm finding that Deere has used the same model number numerous times for different machinery.
Never seen a Detroit in a Deere before. Now we need to figure out which engine model it is.
I have to agree with Steve after seeing the shifter gate. Looks like a 50-early 60's style similar to our old B john deere. It may have been an early municipal tractor as they were trying hard to keep up with case back then on the commercial side of equipment.
Wow Steve, thanks for all that digging. It seems you struck pay dirt. I just went from owning a 40 year old backhoe with very few parts available, to a 50+ year old backhoe with none available. In regards to getting some literature, if available, will this fly? For the tractor, get the 435 diesel, loader will be model 71 and backhoe model 50. I plan to remove the hood this week, I'll look for a model number and take some pictures. If it wasn't for running out of money replacing leaking fluid, its ready to work. To move it off the road, I put in about a gallon of fluid and everything worked. Before It all leaked out, I turned the loader bucket down and raised the front end with ease. There are two heavy leaks, so I'll start there. You made my day, again, thanks. Harry
Don't recall ever seeing it put quite like that before. Don't worry about having trouble identifying your engine...that's the easy part on this machine.
The University of Nebraska published a detailed and comprehensive report on the John Deere Model 440ID in 1959. Their report lists the engine as a 2 cylinder Detroit Diesel. Here is a link to the report ----- http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1382&context=tractormuseumlit It looks like the same tractor .
Nice find Tinkerer. The report shows a displacement of 106.1 cid, that would be a 2-53 Detroit.
Thanks to you guys identifying my tractor/loader backhoe I now have seven manuals on order from johndeeretechinfo.com. For the 440 ID tractor it's, operator, service, parts and engine. For the model 51 backhoe it's, service and parts. For the model 71 loader, only the operators manual. A lister on another site says it will provide the parts requirement. Total with shipping and tax = $338.00. That's steep, but if they allow me to DIY on three or four projects, a lot of it will be paid for. I've never been around JD equipment and books, but if they match Toro, it will be money well spent. Again, thanks Harry
Hey Harry, I finally went to the site where my backhoe is. My tag has 410CF and a serial # on it. There is no tag by the key.
Thanks for checking Dean, as you can read above, the folks here figured out what I had and I'm awaiting the books. After I study enough to ask half way decent (non stupid) questions I plan to bug this site for answere. Thanks Harry
I don't see why you couldn't. Send us some pics of the cylinder.
There's a picture of the cylinder on page one of this thread. Its not a close up, but it is in that first group I sent that shows the left side of the B/H. Should I take a close up? The fluid is coming out at the shaft. Thanks Harry
Sure, close up pics is good. That helps us to know what we're working on.