Hi all . Today I was doing some Earth moving and was back grading some dirt . I was going up a slight incline and it seemed it was straining the backhoe a little . all of a sudden transmission fluid came shooting out of the right side of the engine compartment everywhere. I don't even know where it came from everything was soaked with fluid I shut it down a little while later started it up and of course the backhoe won't move. Does anybody have any idea where all the fluid shut out from and what would have caused this. I am going to try to refill it tomorrow and see what happens?
About all you can do is refill it and see where it is coming from. When it gets soaked like yours is you can't usually see where it came from until you fill it and start it.
You might try compressed air in the hydraulic tank to see if it will sputter where the leak is. I'd hate to waste more oil just to find the leak.
May be a pipe / hose to the rad
Rockbust, there should be two hoses that connect to hard lines that run inside the right frame rail and go to the oil cooler at the front. I would start looking at the hoses first. Good luck.
Ok I refilled the transmission and there are no leaks. I have gently used it for 2 days now and no leaks. When I was working it I did have it in 3rd gear and was back grading uphill some dry clay soil. I have no idea what happened?? or where it came out of? Breather? fill line??
How much oil did it take to get it refilled ?? Be careful to not overfill it.
It took a lot. I don't know exact amount. Maybe around 6 - 16oz's from my recycled coffee cup . I was careful not to overfill. Thank you.
thats not a leak thats a drip..you got a leak when your talking gallons to refill..if im seeing that your saying it only took a single 16 ounce cup of oil to top off the fluid..I doubt it was shooting out all over..but check for loose fittings, it sounds like a pinhole if anything that may have shot a small thin stream out and now a piece of rust or debris got clogged in the pinhole..again with that small amount of oil needed to refill..
6x16. Just under a gallon
thats still not alot, I blew the front hydraulic hose off the pump on my ford 555,,you wana talk about a gush of fluid..that ended up a complete change of oil..it was close to being due, but I rather not of had all that oil go into the ground..lol...I would still keep an eye open for a small pinhole leak.. take a clean rag and some solvent, and clean any lines you can see and look for any small seepage coming out of them, both steel and rubber..you would be amazed how much fluid can come out a pin hole under the psi that is running, also be careful with a small stream of hydro oil coming at you, it could pierce your skin or worse, WEAR GOGGLES to protect your eyes..