Looking at my first hoe and need some advise. I have not seen anyone talking here about a 580 "G", is there a reason for that? What makes the "G" different from others? Is this a good model? I dont have a picture but if you click here you can see it : http://daytona.craigslist.org/grd/895793755.html The guy says it is a 1984 63hp 2wheel drive and 16,530lbs SN#3936869 and asking 8500.00. I have a friend who runs a hoe for a living and intend to have him check it out for me before I buy it. I have not found any parts resources for it on the net either... Anyone have any specifications on this machine, lift cap, breakout force, etc? Any opinions would be appreciated
Case itself has an online parts catalog. I found the 580G on there. (Note, you have to search for "580G", not "580 G".)
interesting, it says its 73hp, not 63hp. Is there a place where I can find the other specifications I was looking for? What about fluid requirements, only in a manual I presume?
the G was not online too long if i remember right is any parts would probably be hard to get because of the short life of that series.
Anyone else have opinions about this? Opinions on the price?
test sorry
The 580G was built for the euopean market. It was note sold in the states. It will probably have a sideshift backhoe and the vertical type stabalizers. Most of the parts for the 580Se backhoe will work on the tractor but there are some parts and for sure on the backhoe that are special to the G series.
Just checked the parts book and they did offer the G with the standard backhoe also so it could have the normal to the US backhoe. There are still a few parts special to the G series that could be hard to get in the states.
Goose, how can I tell if the backhoe is usa or european? Would there be a certaion number in a certain place that I should look for? Thanks!
As I said the G series was made for the over seas market. Dont remember if it was built in the Burlington plant or not. Looking through the parts book the engine, transaxle and transfer case are all different than the machines built for the US. I would say to stay clear of the machine unless your local CASE dealer is willing to help you track down parts for a gray market machine. The parts should be available but may be hard to get in a timley manner.
I seen a 580G before, sideshift, that had a perkins motor I think unlike every other 580 since the E that had Cummins. I'd stay away from perkins and go for a U.S. model with the Cummins engine.
Hmm, this info give pause for thought. Let me give a very short history of how this deal was concieved and what I plan to do with the machine. Then I would like to know if the general opinion is still the same. I'm fine if the answer is still the same, I just want to know for sure. The owner is wanting to trade the hoe for my 1968 firebird that is a 9 second 1/4 mile street legal car with a big block chevy. As we all know its not easy to get rid of a gas guzzler in our economic times, so this is a way out for me. No money out of pocket either except transoprt fees. I do not intend to use this machine to make a living. I need it to clear trees on a home site, clear fence lines, help with foundation work on a home and shop, etc...I though of going the traditional compact tractor route but the reality is I really dont need a pto. I just need to dig, push, and lift. These types of labor require lots of horsepower and hyd pressure, not something a compact tractor are known for. I intend to keep my acrage wooded for hunting, so Im not interested in bush hogging, if I need that I can borrow my brothers tractor. All this being said, if I have to wait for a part its not gonna mean I cant put food on the table. If the part is not available at all thats another issue all together. As long as the parts are available waiting isnt really going to be the end of the world. Now that you have some history, should I still pass? (It's not been easy getting someone to trade as it is, took 3 months to find this guy)
I'd say if you have a dealer close to you who is good to work with it and willing to go the extra mile to help you it could be worth a gamble is the price is right. My only fear other than that would be if the machine has a problem or in the future that you cant get a oddball overseas part for and you end up with a 12000 lb anchor. We have delt with a few graymarket machines at work and most of the parts we have been able to get. Sometimes the manufacture would have to send us the parts marked as another part to get around the issue of the machine was not supposed to be sold in the states. It was real hard to get engine parts for graymarket machines due to the epa regulations since the engines did not meet US emissions. Good luck if you decide to get the machine and keep us posted.
Whats wrong with perkins? I agree Cummins is a great engine, but what makes it so much better?
Having 2 cats with perkins and dealing with JCB that had perkins. Im all set, I prefer Cummins. On the subject of a 580G, I actually saw another one at my dealer yesterday. It looks like an E model but up close the rear end is different, the front end look different, some controls in the cab looked different, and I still think it has a perkins motor.
J580SL; Did you happen to see the price, if so was it comparable to the one Im looking at? Is there anyone who may have data on pricing for these machines?
No it was in the back were customer repair equipment sits.
This is what is call grey stuff as it was imported from Europe , this is the exact version of the model Case super E except for the engine is a David Brownand a few other items. so if you search for spec just view the one for the 580SE and most everything is the same. hope this can help. jc
Thanks for everyones help and input, greatly appreciated.
Indeed, the G was an European model, I worked a couple in my time. It was a follow-on model from the F with vertical stabilisers and sideshift, but an improved cab, it had full sized doors rather than the slide back window. On the Perkins/Cummins issue, it was a few years ago, but I thought ours ran the David Brown engine ??? I will enquire and get back to you on this, and may even find a photo or 2
Found 1 on Kijiji interesting machine but a bit overpriced... http://saintjohn.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd...img.com/i5/06/k/000/7e/8f/96fd_18.JPG&back=-1 http://saintjohn.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd...img.com/i2/03/k/000/7e/8f/98ab_18.JPG&back=-2 Hope this helps any
yea the G was european market.my dad bought a new one back in i dont when.years ago.ran and F before that.
i have a g and live in ireland bought it cheap with some issues like top kickpin worn steering in trouble and some seal gone. it has a david brown engine think they were made in france but not sure. it has verticale jacks and a sliding back hoe. i have issues at the moment with the seals in the clamps for the sliding back hoe and wondering has any one got ideas on how to change them
Common fault on Case backhoes, even up to the SK series. Starting with the lower hydraclamp seals; Undo the bolts along the bottom of the slide frame that clamp the frame to the slide rails and remove the inside plate. With the bucket on the ground power the dipper down slowly so the bottom of the slide frame moves away from the slide rail. When there's enough room between the rail and the frame, put the hydraclamp lever into lock position and power the bucket crowd ram slowly, this will force out the 2 bottom hydraclamps and allow you to change the seals. ( a bucket under each of the 2 clamps to catch the oil is handy ) clean out the recess, fit new seals and refit the hydraclamps, lower the frame back into it's correct position and refit the plate and bolts. The top is done in a similar way, but you need to support the slide frame (we use a a couple of large wood blocks ) so it doesn't drop to the floor when the bolts and plate is removed. If there's 2 of you with all the equipment to hand you should be able to swap all 4 sets of seals in a couple of hours.
Just out of curiosity, why not wait for a U.S. made case hoe to buy? I know this one is nearby and available but there's got to be a C, D, E, or up available in your area.
got my pins in and must get the oil circulating to theclamps before i can tackle it. but thanks for great advice
The only 580G I ever came across was a gray market, side shift backhoe, with the basic tractor being a David Brown running gear. Not something easy to get parts for in the USA, I suspect. Not fun to work on either. Just my opinion!
I realize this is an old thread, but I came upon this as I was bored and researching my dads old G. I might be able to fill in a few points... Dad bought his in 1985 when the US dollar was worth $1.34 vs the British pound. Basically the French made G, sold by a Case dealer in England was 1/3 cheaper than a US built version because of the dollar difference. Purchase price included delivery to any US port. Terms were 1/3 down and balance due upon delivery/pickup. Also part of the deal was that upon delivery, if dad didn't like anything about the machine, the dealer, would by check or cash, by the local contact refund the down payment and $250 for his time and trouble. Dad used his for over 6000 hours with only minor trouble. Overall fit and finish was perfect! No paint runs, no thin spots, doors and panels aligned perfectly. Also all the decals were placed perfectly. Warning stickers were in US and French. In all the years he owned it, we never found a paint run or drip. This could not be said of other, US machines he purchased later, to include an E, a Super E and lastly the 2 590's. The G actually out lasted both E's and was only sold when dad got rid of all his help and after the purchase of the first 590. As previously stated, it was a Case machine with a David Brown drive line, including a new at the time, heavy rearend that would show up in US machines a year later. When he bought the machine, he also had the dealer include a complete set of manuals. Any part he ever needed was available at Case either in stock or next day... drive line parts, if we needed them sooner, were available over the counter at the local David Brown dealer. All of the filters either were on the shelf at Case or crossed to a Wix number that was available in stock at the local Napa. I suspect the non-stocked filters were David Brown filters... Dad's machine was a hard loaded digger. It had everything except A/C and dirt pads. The dealer said he could get them, but it would put the machine 3 months out... Dad ended up just buying a set of dirt pads at the local case dealer and of course they were in stock... lol! His had standard, center mount backhoe, (not side shift) 4x4, cab, heat, extendahoe, 4-in-1 front bucket, front drive shaft guard and an interior that was like the best Caddy of the day to include padded wheel wells and a padded rubber floor mat. The only problem I can remember he really had over the years was a roll pin in the 4x4 shifter. The pin was located inside the drop down transfer case and would break if you slammed the 4x4 shifter down (putting it in 4 wheel drive) hard. The first time it was a PITA to change. However by the second time we realized that David Brown put a nice access hole and you could change the pin in a matter of minutes... The included picture is when we went to look at the machine in the Houston ship yard in 1985. The machine showed 2/10's of an hour. Not shown in my picture were the nice folding rear tail lights that would fold out for transport. I will see if that picture is still around, I can remember it, just can't fine it...