Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help with my 580 c

ggnutts ยท 2008-11-10 22:10

well hello all. I am a newby to the world of heavy equipment I recently baught a mid 80's case 580 c . It runs good, digs good, but the transmission seems to slip. I checked the stick, no fluid showing. well I Kinda think this may be my problem. now my question (well my first one anyway) does anyone know what kind of fluid this thing takes? it is a for speed with shuttle shift. I have been told by an unreliable source to use hydrlic fluid. Is this right? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Replies1
  1. #1digger242j2008-11-10 22:50

    Case's hydraulic fluid was named "TCH" fluid for a reason-- Transmission/Converter/Hydraulic. So, a qualified yes, is the correct answer. TCH fluid or an equivalent will do, but be sure it's an equivalent. I'd avoid some generic "hydraulic fluid". On edit: I thought I'd better qualify what I said above, lest the name mislead you--The shuttle is the "C" for "Converter" part of the "TCH". The "T" part refers to the transmissions in things like their crawler tractors. Your 4-speed gearbox in the 580 would take gear oil though, not TCH.