Iam looking for some advice. I have been looking for a backhoe for quite some time and I have found one that I am thinking of buying. It is a 1989 580K 4x4 with 4000 hours. Is this a good model to buy and what things should I be looking for. I know some basics but how about the engine and driveline for this year and model. What are the good and bad things to look for? Is there a better year or model I should be looking for. Thanks in advance rhino660
Does the engine start dead cold? How does it sound. Driving it down the road will also tell you how good the torque converter and front end is. Is the backhoe sloppy, etc. If you don't know and if your budget is being stretched buying this thing definately get someone who knows what they are getting into. Old machines can break and cry $$$$$ easy
The engine starts right up from cold. I have seen it in operation but have not driven it yet. It sounds good and smooth when running. Everything seems tight when watching it in operation. What is the best way to test the torque converter, by digging into a dirt pile with the loader or driving it down the road through the gears. This machine is owned by a private home owner that built his own house and a couple houses for his sons but Not sure before that. I was hoping to find a bit newer one but the hours caught my attention on this one and seems decent. Also it isn't a super K and is this a bad thing or not.
Almost 25 year old machine and only 4000 hrs MMMMMMMM My Case E is a couple of years older and has 9500 hrs . Funny enough for years I have never seen a rubber tire backhoe dig a new foundation for a home unless it had no basement . You have to ask youself do you need a backhoe . And yes in the second last reply Keep your wallet out . They are not cheap to fix