Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k blowing water and oil out crankcase vent

Quadnuts1 ยท 2015-07-18 16:30

I have a Case 580k backhoe that ran hot on me pushing brush up on my property..since then it's been using water and blowing oil and water out of crank case vent tube. Could someone please give me an idea as to what may be wrong?....I suspect a cracked head or sleeve but have very little diesel motor experience so need some input from others better educated on this equipment prior to tearing into it.

Replies11
  1. #1repowerguy2015-07-18 16:49

    4b cummins motors are parent bore so it won't have sleeves in it, the head will have to come off and I would run it through a machine shop and a new head gasket. Depending on hours and bore condition I would consider a Inframe overhaul. These little mills are a breeze to rebuild and reasonable to afford.

  2. #2alrman2015-07-18 18:16

    Welcome to HEF Quadnuts1 ! Is there water in the engine oil? There are a number of welsh (freeze) plugs that can cause this. Some are located under the rocker covers & some behind the engine side cover - which will involve the injector pump to be removed. Check the ones in the head first

  3. #3Quadnuts12016-05-10 23:03

    Yes there is a lot of water coming out of vent tube on engine side cover and when I drained oil it had over 2 gallons of water in pan...I filled with clean oil and changed filters and filled radiator with coolant and imeadiately after cranking water started pouring out vent tube again like a sink faucet on about half way...never seen a crack produce so much water so fast...you think it may be a freeze plug popped out behind cover?

  4. #4alrman2016-05-11 06:59

    Yup :yup

  5. #5Quadnuts12016-05-12 00:17

    Wow..you were right...I pulled tappet cover and there it was...Welch plug closest to rear of engine was laying inside.

  6. #6Quadnuts12016-05-12 00:21

    I have so much to ask now. To start do I replace with drive in style like original?...How do I get all this contaminated oil out of motor and also how do I get oil out of coolant system?....coolant really contaminated engine oil badly...not to much oil in coolant system. Overwhelmed but I am confident some one on here can guide me through this.

  7. #7Quadnuts12016-05-12 00:26

    Should I drop oil pan and clean?...drop oil pump to wash pick up screen and pump?...Uggghhhh I sure hope I didn't hurt motor

  8. #8alrman2016-05-12 00:46

    Glad you found the problem. Just replace with new freeze plug of the same style - they are there for a reason. No need to open the engine any further. Clean up around all the rocker gear & the covers - good idea to replace the cover gaskets. Drain the oil & leave the drain plug out & tip 10-20 litres of diesel through the engine. Install the drain plug, replace the filter, fill with clean oil, run engine till warm & drain the oil again. Depending on what it looks like, you could fill it again with new oil, run it till warm & drain. - you may need to do this 2 or 3 times. When it looks reasonable, replace the filter, fill new oil & work the machine for a day or two then drain again. It should all be back to normal by then. :drinkup

  9. #9Delmer2016-05-12 07:55

    It makes a big difference if it was water or glycol coolant that got mixed in, and how long you ran it like that. If it was just water, one quick rinse of diesel and one oil change is all I'd do. Keep a close eye on the oil level, and any foam on the upper end of the dipstick for a while. Dishwashing detergent, or TSP trisodium phosphate works in the cooling system, with water only, rainwater or distilled water unless your's is soft. Don't use TSP "substitute" it's a different chemical and more aggressive to aluminum. Don't use anymore than the label states, the water will be hot and agitated. Drain it at 1 hour or so, repeat until you're satisfied it's clean and then rinse a couple times the same way, that is run it an hour and drain. Then back to coolant, and clean your radiator outside so it doesn't overheat again.

  10. #10adge2016-07-08 12:34

    Silver/Metallic Fluid Coming out of Crankcase Vent Tube Hello, I have a 1975 Case 580B Backhoe, and the last two times I drove it, it started spewing out this nasty silver-ish/metallic looking fluid out of the crankcase vent tube onto the ground. This is my first diesel machine, so I'm not terribly familiar with how they work (or more specifically, how they're different from gas vehicles/machines). I have no idea what this silvery metallic looking goo is, but I do know it shouldn't be coming out of the crankcase vent. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I've talked to several folks, and they all have a different opinion. None of which seem to match up with the information I find online. Any help anyone could provide, would be seriously appreciated. This thing has me stumped, and I don't necessarily want to spend $5k to have a mechanic take it apart if this (or something similar) is actually the issue. Many thanks in advance for your help. Also like to say, I've gotten a ton of extremely valuable information off of this forum for my other tractors and machinery. Great forum, and great posters alike. Thank you to whoever runs this! It's excellent!

  11. #11bobbyblades2016-07-08 20:00

    cut and paste this post and make a new post for all to see