Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k Boom just made a loud noise and stop working

Tactical Opossum ยท 2023-06-10 16:14

Greetings to all,, I heard a loud noise from underneath the boom and suddenly my boom doesn't lift. When I try engage it using the joystick, I feel no pressure. My cylinders are all good, no leaks but I see a leak from one of the values underneath the machine. Please help me. Thanks!

Replies18
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-06-10 16:22

    Welcome to HEF, Tactical Opossum ! Interesting username that you have. You need to go underneath and take a look, and maybe post a photo of the leak. There isn't much of a chance any of us can help you with so little information. I would guess you have a hose with a hole in it tho.

  2. #2Tactical Opossum2023-06-10 16:38

    Sure, it's late over here. Will do just that at the break of dawn. Thanks

  3. #3skyking12023-06-10 18:42

    Break of dawn How very tactical of you, nocturnal one.

  4. #4Vetech632023-06-10 19:20

    Hmmm.....ill take "piston came off the boom cylinder rod for $600.00 Alex!"

  5. #5skyking12023-06-10 19:30

    loud pop? I was leaning at " pin snapped and bound up some shizzle"

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2023-06-11 16:47

    Either piston came off or by-pass valve in piston came out either way sounds like time to pull rod out of boom cylinder.

  7. #7Tactical Opossum2023-06-11 18:06

    Thanks Vetech63, the mechanic is going take a look at it tomorrow and let me know the wrong.

  8. #8Tactical Opossum2023-06-11 18:09
  9. #9Tactical Opossum2023-06-11 18:13
  10. #10Tactical Opossum2023-06-11 18:14
  11. #11Welder Dave2023-06-12 15:24

    Loud bang sounds like the piston bolt or threaded end of the rod broke. I had it happen on the stick cylinder on my backhoe. In my case I think the bolt was a little loose.

  12. #12Tactical Opossum2023-06-13 14:40

    Thanks to all that contributed towards my post. I finally took the boom cylinder out and saw that the piston bolt got broken. I'm in search of a boom cylinder.

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2023-06-13 17:52

    The part number should be on the gland so you can search online to find one cheap.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-06-13 19:47

    You shouldn't need a new cylinder or a new rod. If it uses a bolt drill and tap the rod for the next size up bolt and drill the piston to fit. There may be a seal that needs to be bigger for the larger bolt.

  15. #15Billrog2023-06-13 19:52

    It's a bolt you should be able to extract and instal a new one. The tork for that bould is 1200#.

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-06-14 01:16

    If just the bolt broke you can replace it. I forgot in my case the bolt ripped out some threads in the rod and that is why I had to go to a larger bolt.

  17. #17gggraham2023-06-14 12:24

    Alex says" You must answer in the form of a question" What is the piston came off the boom cylinder rod. LOL

  18. #18Vetech632023-06-15 08:06

    LOL............dammit, I knew that too!