Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K Buying Advice

JFitz ยท 2020-06-08 10:27

Hi All, I have been studying the site for a while and looking for a TBL for some time. I came across a early Case 580K, 4 WD, extendahoe, 4-1 bucket, 8200 hours for $8000, I think I could get it for $7-7500. It has the shift on the right, up through the floor. Nothing obvious leaking, it was running when I got there (he jumped from another piece so I did not see the cold start or if he used ether, will have to see, started up several times afterwards as well), pins in the BH bucket have some wear but not severe. He drove it back and forth, ran all the loader bucket controls, same for the stabilizers, EHoe, etc...I did not perform TC tests from here yet. It is not going anywhere and I can go back and look it over, drive it, dig with it etc...then I will really know what shape it is in and will look at all the fluids. I would have a friend that works with them alot do this with me. The owner is a logger who bought this at an auction but I think the rain has hurt him so he needs to move it. Hence we have no real history on the machine. My uses: I have 10 acres, 8 wooded that I want to take care of. Lots of rocks, some stumps, grading etc....so no time issues and low hour needs. My thought has been to pick up a Kubota L48 given I have other 3 pt work to do and my little 23 hp Ford 1310 is just not capable. Any thoughts? Jim

Replies15
  1. #1JFitz2020-06-08 10:28
  2. #2JFitz2020-06-08 10:30
  3. #3JFitz2020-06-08 10:31
  4. #4JFitz2020-06-08 10:31
  5. #5JBrady2020-06-08 13:24

    Looks like a pretty solid machine from the pics. I didn't notice any welds or repairs on the loader/frame/hoe, which are the "walkaways" for me. At this age and hours, just plan on doing some work on a fairly frequent basis. I have a 590 Super L with half the hours and I'm still replacing hoses, electrical, painting, etc. about every 4th or 5th time I use it for anything more than just pull a stump out or move a rock around.

  6. #6riggerjack2020-06-09 19:30

    I have a 580 super k that I bought about a decade ago. I agree w/ JBrady, above. You will get a chance to work on it, and if you don't have the mechanical skills, you will get the opportunity to develop them. I also just have 10 wooded acres, and having my hobby 'hoe has been great. And yours has the 4in1 bucket, you will get lots of use when moving logs with that! Price and machine seem like a good deal to me!

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-06-10 08:13

    Not a bad looking hoe for the years and hours.

  8. #8mitch5042020-06-10 09:19

    Yeah, the 4-in-1 bucket isn't even warped. Seems like half of them I see, they grabbed too long a log, or something, and twisted the moveable jaw til it won't close all the way.

  9. #9Willie B2020-06-10 09:57

    Except for the clam front bucket, and three stick control, it could be same model as mine. I've had mine 14 years. If you are a mechanic, the price is right. The three stick control would be a deal breaker for me. I had one & converted it. Mine was a good tractor many years, but this spring I've put some money into it. Tires, replaced a rod in a stabilizer cylinder, bushings, and a thumb. These are exceptional loaders, and the clam bucket is much sought after. The rear hoe is enormously heavy, boom lift not adequate. With wobble stick control I find it functional, but not easy to operate smoothly. I've run it about 3500 hours, so I'm pretty well at a learning plateau. On sideways hill the corner only of the front bucket hits the ground, This makes it exponentially more jumpy especially lowering the boom. Plumbing on these tractors gives priority to the curl, and crowd. Swing & boom only get full oil flow when right controls are not being used. Swing won't function, boom is slow when other functions are in use, then takes off like a rocket. Anyone standing near until you sort that out gets a trip to the hospital. Case offered flow restrictors for the swing, but they are NLA. A fellow at NORTHERN HYDRAULICS has specified other manufacturer restrictors to slow the swing. Compared to similar vintage John Deere, these are NOT smooth. Carefully inspect the boom, inner dipper and other ductile iron parts. The magnesium content in ductile iron makes repair impossible. These are prone to torque converter fails. I think you are talking $1500. for a reman installed.

  10. #10JBrady2020-06-11 11:17

    @riggerjack - I see you are from Whidbey Island. I lived in Coupeville for a short while back in 2005. I worked at Nichols Brothers shipyard. That is a beautiful place to live. Small world.

  11. #11JFitz2020-06-13 13:45

    Thanks guys. I am reading everything online and heading over there now to take more pictures, examine the fluids, look at welds, and crawl under it etc...

  12. #12Willie B2020-06-13 20:25

    What did you notice second trip you didn't notice before?

  13. #13Joe Friday2020-06-16 21:31

    I bought mine on an online auction after talking with the dealer several times for quite some time..... Never again! I gave $9100 for it and now have $12,500 in it. Yours looks like a steal to me...

  14. #14JFitz2020-06-17 17:20

    Hi Guys, On my second trip, I did perform a cold start and it did ok. Turned over slow (batteries look cobbled together) but fired and very little smoke, it was like 80F outside when I did not, no ether. However, I did find some significant repairs to the main loader arm, left side from the seat. Few other issues of concern so I think I am going to walk on this one. Regards, Jim

  15. #15JFitz2020-06-17 17:22