Hi All, I have a 580k backhoe and I am looking for a way to get to a grease fitting. Where the hoe connects to the tractor, there are two pins, the top pin has a grease fitting on the bottom and I can easily get to that. The bottom pin looks like it has some type of covering over it with a slot in it. I can't see inside the slot and my grease gun tip will not fit through the slot. Is it a covering of some sort , and if so can I remove it (and How) or is there a special tip I have to use to slip it in and grease the fitting. Thanks for any help! yamiacaveman
Are you sure the fitting isn't in bottom? Both our old 680E and 780C had the fitting in bottom. PIA because would be full of dirt when you didn't have a screwdriver.
Well, on the bottom of the bottom pin it seems to be a solid piece of metal -- on the top of that pin, like I said, looks to me like some kind of cover that I have to remove to get at the grease fitting. I wish it was like the top pin, lol.
Here is a description of the pins from the parts book. Looks like they discontinued the zerk in later pins.
Thanks Tinkerer, I have a parts manual but it is not showing me what I have. Any idea where I can find a picture of what you have listed in your post. Again thanks for your help. yamiacaveman
Here ya go Caveman, The first link is to the page I copied from. The second link is to the online parts book where you can do a machine model search. In the upper RH corner is a green box. You can expand the page to full screen. At the bottom of the page is a slide bar where you can zoom in and out on the picture. Hold your curser over the picture after you zoom in on it , hold down your mouse button and you can shift the picture around. Also at the page bottom you will see two little boxes. Selecting either one will give you the option of viewing the various machine sections as either a list or as grid (small pictures of each major component of the machine). http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54945ar481794 http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::model_find
Thanks Tinkerer, I should have said I am familiar with the Case Web Page -- and I did buy all the service manuals - owner manual -parts manuals --- Put I still cannot find the part I have on my backhoe. I guess I just have to stick a screw driver in the slot and try to pop it or twist it off. Again, Thanks for all your help!!! yamiacaveman
Exactly which pin is it in the diagram ?
I draw like a little kid, lol -- anyway the top is basically flat - except that the black spot is a whole in the top and the lines going back from that whole represent a raised area maybe a 1/4 inch high. but that whole is not quite big enough to fit the grease gun tip. To me it looks like a can stick a screw driver in the slot and perhaps twist it off or pop it off to access the grease fitting, but I really don't know.
OK, but which one is it in the diagram ?? Please specify by using the reference number.
Wow - Sorry about that - I wrote the post but must have forgotten to post it. In your drawing -- Pin 25 or 25A or 26A. You can see 2 pins show the grease fitting on top and 1 on the bottom.
If the grease zerk or the the threaded hole for it is not in either end of your pin someone has installed the pin. It must look awful dry from a lack of grease. If it were mine I would be installing the correct pin before the bushing is worn out. As you can see in the drawing there are grease zerks in all the replacement pins. There are not any pins like you are describing. You would need to determine if your backhoe needs pin #26 that inserts into it.
Thanks for all your help Tinkerer. There is still grease there - but I know it has to be greased. I bought the machine from a dealer - he probably bought it at an auction - so I have no previous owner to ask. Anyway - this weekend I will be off to plan b and c -- perhaps I will get lucky - If I remember I will try to get some pictures and repost here. yamiacaveman
Hey Tinkerer or any one out there-- Here is a picture of what I have for a bottom pin. (Top view of pin, bottom is solid) http://www.franksdata.com/Backhoe/Backhoe 001.JPG The hole on top? Is there a grease fitting in there? Is there a tool I can put in there to pop it up or twist it off? Because it seems to rotate a little when I move the boom left and right - thought it might line up to a grease fitting but then again my standard grease gun tip does not seem to fit in there. I would love to get some grease in there or change it, but how? Thanks for any help. yamiacaveman
Could you clean the pin and surrounding area, then post a photo of it ? Also a bottom view of the pin. It appears to be the top 0f bushing #7 that is shown in the parts diagram. If it is in fact that bushing the grease zerk (# 31) or the hole for it should be on the bottom of the pin.
Thanks for the reply Tinkerer, My backhoe is on a piece of property I own - about 160 miles away - so I only get there on weekends. I will clean it up and take another picture - hopefully this weekend. yamiacaveman
That's what I said earlier. I thought the nipple should be in bottom of pin.
On the top pin the the fitting is in the center and on the bottom of that pin, but I am almost positive it is solid steel all the way around on the bottom of the bottom pin. Again hopefully I will get some pictures this weekend. yamiacaveman