I have been looking at a 2004 Case 580 SM that is for sale. This machine has an extend-a-hoe, front assist, enclosed cab with heat and air-conditioning. The owner says everything works and there are no leaks. From looking at the pictures, the machine seems to be pretty clean. My main concern is that this machine has over 11,000 hours on it. The owner just sent me 11 pages of very detailed records of repairs that have been done to this machine. The injector pump has been rebuilt, but from looking at the records no engine, transmission, or rear end work had been done to this machine. I suppose buying something used is always a gamble, but I would like to hear the opinions of others.
My last Machine was a 580 Case SE . At 9500 hours the water pump snapped and the fan went into the rad .Not long after that the torque converter forward motion stopped . At 9000 hours the left rear axel bearing disintegrated and second gear had broken teeth . I didnt own this backhoe from new but I had only put 200 hrs on it . So the question is do sell it for scrap or do you fix it . You fix it Spend more money and get something aroud the 5000 hour range
I agree w/ Bill. 11k on heavy equipment (loader) isn't much, but on lighter equipment it is nearing the end of it's life. Or, where you have to keeping throwing a thousand or so at it every few months. I suppose if it's near free, or only a couple of thousand, why not (you didn't mention the purchase price). But I'm thinking the price is into five digits.
Something to consider is if you will need the machine on a daily basis, or if it will be an occasional use machine. If the previous owner has all those detailed records, he obviously has taken decent care of it. Nothing can be assumed from how many hours are on a machine as far as having infrequent repairs. A lot of low hour machines can be beat to the status of junk and a lot of high hour machines can be dependable and not need a lot of repairs to keep them going. It is no different from used farm equipment, trucks and cars. Anything used comes with a gamble as far as getting a lot of hours on it and the repair ratio. If you can buy it at a reasonable price then you can put some money in repairs and still be OK. You say the machine is pretty clean. If it has the original paint on it that is a good thing. If there is fresh paint, that is sometimes used to cover or hide a beat up looking machine. Try it out and see how it operates. You don't have to dig with it, although that would be a plus. Make sure the transmission is shifting as it should and there is no clunking when going from forward to reverse. Look carefully for any excessive engine crankcase blow-by. Check the pins in the loader and backhoe for excessive play. Major money can be spent repairing them if they are very loose.
The owner wants $18500 for this machine. If the hours were lower and as good as the machine looks he probably wouldn't have any trouble getting that price. I think a lot of people look at the price and then decide if the machine has too many hours on it. There was nothing in the service records about changing out pins and bushings so I'm sure the machine is loose. By looking at the thousands and thousands of dollars this guy has spent on this machine he is probably thinking that it's time to get something else before something major happens. I would be using a backhoe mostly for clean up work, and digging drainage ditches on my farm. When I saw how high the hours are on this machine I was curious as to what everyone's opinion would be.
I'd have to check it out and try it , if its for intermittent farm use , the hours wouldn't really bother me so bad. Plus being a cab machine , if everything works and you feel like the guy took care of it , it sounds like a decent price for a decent machine. Just my opinion , Case makes a tough machine. My uncle had a Super K that had way over 11k hours on it and was running when sold.
Hours don't really mean anything but previous owners treatment does. You will find that out on your first major repair
I, respectfully, have to take issue with the hours are meaningless comments. The hourmeter is there for a reason, service and use. These machines are not built to go one indefinitely, no matter if you lube and change the filters every month. Everything wears after 11k hours. Everything. I do agree that regular, routine and scheduled maintenance is huge. The machine will fall apart if you don't regularly service it. Engine, transmission, axles, brakes (when wet), pins, etc., etc., etc., can all get expensive real quick on backhoes, even if you do it yourself. I've looked at heavy equipment that was listed at 20-30k miles, but the hourmeter read 18-19k. I walked away. I stand by my statement that 11k hours is high for light-medium equipment, especially when coupled w/ a $18.5k pricetag.
Take a look on Machinery Trader and some of the other sites that list 580SM's for sale. $18.5 will make a nice down payment on one regardless of age and hours. Just an observation on my part.
The question remains , what condition is it actually in? Another question , how many of those 11k hours were idle. If it were an E model or older , probably no. But the SL and up until this tier4 crap I would still consider looking at it , not saying buy it. I know some road crews around here , if you start the day in the machine , it runs all day even if you move only 20 buckets of dirt. I'm just curious as to what the actual condition is.
That is the question. Everything from the pins and bushings, to the hoses, fittings, fluids and tires. A quick check on EBay showed more than half a dozen of these sold in the last few months for $18-$24k, w/ 1.5-3.5k hours. No, I did not check the maintenance schedules, but from the pictures, they looked good tp very good.
You could probably save $50 on the purchase price of tissues youd need to wipe away the tears if you brought this machine. Big hours and big repair bill just around the corner id suggest, The present owner knows the machine and where its heading him down the road in repair costs, to me its the devil you don't know nought about, but be sure the seller does,why else would he be getting rid of it ? Your call, but for me,id keep looking to greener pastures.