Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K Hydraulic Cylinders

JTWAT ยท 2014-03-09 17:38

I need to repack the swing cylinders on a 580K backhoe. I do not see any set scews to take out in order to remove the cap. I cant get the cap to turn. What am I missing? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1fishfighter2014-03-09 21:39

    I had to use a 48" pipe wrench and pipe to break one of mine to free up.

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-03-09 22:24

    The cylinders should have a small screw between the gland and tube. Work the lever to get the pressure off the cylinder. The correct spanner and a long 3/4 pull handle/4' pipe should loosen them, counter clockwise from the rear. Rt hand side pull up, lt side goes down. Some you may have to do a light tapping with a hammer. I will use the air hammer with a pin bit sometimes to loosen them if needed. Recheck for that screw on each cylinder again, it could be broken off and you may need to pull the cylinder to drill it out, it's around 3/16 deep and keeps the gland from spinning out. You may also have some Loctite that needs very little heat to make it start to move. Be careful with fire wrenches!. Sometimes it works better to take off and run it by a shop that does cylinder work if you get a bad one. If when apart check the ID inside the tube, it should be 3.5 and not 3.25 as those should have been recalled long ago.

  3. #3JTWAT2014-03-11 00:09

    Thanks, I used a 48" pipe wrench and pipe to break them free. After that, they unscrewed easy. The lock screw was missing on two of them.