An early 70's John Deere 410 backhoe I have has full power steering to the right, but only about 30% to the left. Any comments on the problem or fixes. Thanks.
Not familiar with that model or the valve, but JDparts shows two steering cylinders. If you have two steering cylinders then one possibility is that one of the pistons came off the rod, that cylinder could still push but obviously couldn't pull. Assuming the cylinders are behind the axle, then the left cylinder would be suspect. If there's room to disconnect the end of the cylinder you can check it by seeing if that cylinder will retract when it should. If the nut and piston are loose it will extend and not retract. I'd guess it's more likely there's some issue with the valve, but I can't help you there.
I have a 310 of the same era. A lot of things are the same or very similar on the two models. Here is what the 310 manual says in the steering diagnostic section: Steering Slow In One Direction Leakage past steering valve body. Valve seat worn or distorted. Dirt on valve seat. Replace valve body assemblies.
I'll have to look for those 2 cylinders. I did pick up a schematic for the valve- a mix of 43 pieces. I'll have to see if I can pull the valve & take it to someone who has worked with them. Thank you.
Thank you. It's looking like I need to get the valve out & see what's going on. Individual parts may be a problem; perhaps need to look at an used unit- and hope the problem is not typical.
Doesn't sound like the valve, I would air test the cylinders before I dismantle anything.
Thanks. Guess I should eliminate the easier stuff first.
Could even swap the hoses and see if the problem changes direction.