Starts and runs good but has a pretty good drip to it. Would like to fix it but wasnt sure if this is an easy fix or if im looking at a whole new pump. If anyone has any help or advice on this, id greatly appreciate it.
Probably just needs a new seal.
I’ve replaced or fixed 3 of those top covers this week.. Nobody adjusts the throttle linkage and the steel shaft wears into the aluminum hole.. And u can see how well they’re kept clean.. There’s usually no fixing them w an oring, but u can try.. Just Google: CAV top cover gaskets..
They sell “mini-kits” on eBay and Amazon for between 9 &12.00 w free shipping .. It comes w a top cover mounting gasket, 4 orings for the shafts (2 each) and 2 fiber washers that go under the hold down nuts.. Good luck.. if u want me to “fix” the cover, just send me a prvt msg..
Excuse the ignorance, but what’s the proper way to adjust the linkage to prevent that kind of wear?
Have a close look at the lever.. It’s got a spring on it.. It’s called a “break-back” lever. Once the lower part of the lever hits the stop screws, the top portion “breaks” over..in both the hi and low idle positions.. It should be adjusted to its minimum break over position.
What is involved in "Fixing" the cover?
Ancient Chinese Secret..
As far as injection pump repairs go, this one is pretty easy. I have done quite a few. BUT, it has been a while. Last year one hit my yard and when I went to order parts from my go to supplier, they told me that Lucas will no longer allow them to sell the seal kits for the shaft. I might be wrong but I have a twenty year relationship with this shop and take anything they tell me as gospel. My personal feeling is that if the pump is leaking from the throttle shaft; there are probably more wear problems internally. It would take months or years, but about a third or more of the ones that I resealed the throttle shaft on ended up with more pump problems. So, I send the entire pump off to my guy now. There are seal kits readily available on line, but I work primarily with production machines so I do my best to only get parts from trusted sources. Also, I am pretty sure that the repair steps for a CAV are also pretty easy to find online. This guy knows a LOT more about injection pumps than I do. If he didn't want to post instructions on how to do it; there is probably a reason.
Yeah, if ur an authorized Delphi shop, U CAN NOT sell those parts as “a kit”.. u can sell them individually with no problem.. Delphi doesn’t recognize a “mini-kit”.. just have your friend jot down the individual numbers for u.. Same goes w the top cover fix.. If Delphi doesn’t offer it, it doesn’t exist…