Our Case 580K Phase 1 is having an issue where it will stall out as soon as the throttle goes above idle speeds. It happens in any gear including neutral. All parts of the machine work fine and the fuel has no water in it, I checked. My first thought is I should check Air filters and Fuel filters am I correct? After this I was thinking it could be a problem with the fuel sender in the tank? I am a complete novice working on Heavy Equipment so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Todd
Todd, there are a few things to check for. First off, try using your hand primer on the fuel pump. See if you have any fuel leaking around any fittings and see if the pump actually squirts out any fluid if you crack a bleeder. I had a really goofy situation one time that the transfer pump locked up and the fuel was only slowly trickling to the injection pump. It would run for short bursts and die. Clogged fuel filters are common culprits. If you haven't changed them in a while, it would not hurt. I have also seen fuel filters work loose and pull air around the seals. Check for tightness. Do you have a manual?
OK will do. Yes I have a service and Operators manual. Thanks Todd
Here is the bleeding procedure. You could use this to make sure the transfer pump is functioning:
Did this and all is working well. Will idle all day long with no problems. No stutters or anything. But as soon as you press the gas pedal it stalls immediately.
Something else to check would be the fuel shutoff solenoid at the injection pump. It should have 12v while the key is on and running. If it is getting full voltage, then it could be weak and closing when the flow is increased. Little bit of a long shot, but a possibility none-the-less. It will look something like this: There is also the possibility of biodiesel gumming up the system. That stuff is not fit for a brush fire! :IMO
Biodiesel is excellent fuel, as long as you use it immediately and don't ever store any in your tank. There are lots of ways to go about this, depends on what's easiest for you, especially since it sounds like it does this right away every time you try it. You could use a temporary tank hooked to the inlet of the transfer pump or filters if they're upstream of the transfer pump. Or tee into the supply line to the injection pump and run a line to a pressure vacuum gauge in the cab so you can see what the pressure does.
Damn it..!!! Doesn't anyone read my solutions?? LOL There is a "hidden filter" under the inlet nut on the injection pump!!! This is the last time I'm gonna write this..{probably not** Remove the inlet nut on the inj. pump..15/16" Remove the big spring w/ needle nose pliers or your fingers.. With a small screwdriver.. hold down the guts under the spring you just took out.. NOW, with a 90* scribe.. grab ahold of the plastic filter that's on the side and pull up.. as your holding down on the guts..[internals] The filter surrounds the internals.. just blow it off and reinstall.. Let us know how you make out..
Yeah, but how's he ever gonna learn anything if you just give him the answer?
So I have done all these steps except for the one by "thepumpguysc" because I am unsure about my skill in that one I can get fuel all the way though the pump but the final step to the injectors will not happen. So I am leaning towards the "fuel shutoff solenoid" being the culprate. I don't have the tools to see if there is current going to it or how much if there is power. I have the service manual but I can't find anywhere in it on how to remove the fuel shutoff solenoid. Do I need to take the whole pump off to get to it? Thanks Todd
Here is the excerpt from the service manual for the solenoid: I would check the screen as well, like the pump guy mentioned. It is not too hard to pull out. Shut off your fuel valve and pull your inlet line from the back of the pump (the one coming from the filter). Take out the nut the inlet line screws to and continue with his directions. should be pretty easy once you get started.
Thanks for that I will try that next. Is there anyway to tell if it has power without a volt meter? Will the plunger actuate if I turn the key when it isn't installed? Also is there any way to run the engine without the shut off installed? I would also like to thank all that have helped me here!! I am a volunteer trying to keep this beast going for our local barn and I really, really appreciate the help you are giving me!! So once again Thank you!! Todd
. Dude..... TOOLS... . . Gotta Fly... . . PS Running is one thing... Do you want to shut it back off ? . .
We received 47 cm of snow last night so right now if it runs until the fuel is gone I would be happy!!
Not really sure what a cm is... We got dumped on here in MN too... Bad part is... Winter was almost gone a few weeks ago... I was doing a few maintenance chores on my 580K Soon, I was about to chase down my OVERCHARGING problem... boiling the battery fluid... Then we go BACK into Winter... Starting it is a pain... Block heater and Charger... But the driveway is 1/2 mile long... I don't want to buy new batteries until I do something with the regulator... . . Maybe if you start your with out the fuel shut off... First... if it runs good, you found the problem... To shut it down... Just pull the fuel line... . Gotta Fly... . .
The shutoff solenoid should click with the key. If you have someone working the key, you should be able to hear/feel the solenoid. If nothing else, pull it out and clean the plunger. Carb cleaner works decent on diesel sludge. I have been throwing dirt as fast as I can until winter comes back. Again. This weather has been crap for crazy this year. I am trying to get a concrete contractor lined up to make me a basement, and all I get is funny looks and shrugging shoulders. Put my hoe to use this afternoon peeling a road bank back and using the fill in my new shop. Hauled about a dozen loads until the rain started again... Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Recycle and reuse... Good Job ! Gotta Fly...
Have any luck, or are you still snowed in? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just bought a case 580K and it is having similar issues, haven't made it through all the steps noted, but your excerpts from the manual have been the most help, what would it take to get some more of those excerpts?