Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K Serpentine Belt Length for replacement

pdhntr · 2024-09-26 15:13

I have what I believe to be an early phase 3 machine. Shifter on console on right side of seat. The serpentine belt is shredded and no way to get an accurate length. Can someone please help with instructions on how to get the right one. The local Case Ag dealer has one in stock, but he said there are like 20 different ones, all about a half inch different lengths. The one he has in stock is J911559, 62". Thanks for any help. Jim

Replies14
  1. #1pdhntr2024-09-26 16:36

    Little plate on side of engine says 4-390 if that helps at all. Closest heavy equipment dealer is 1 1/2 hours away so trying to source one a little closer. Thanks. Jim

  2. #2alrman2024-09-26 17:46

    Lucky star is shining for you @pdhntr J911559 is the correct belt for your machine.

  3. #3pdhntr2024-09-26 18:02

    Thanks mate. . Jim

  4. #4alrman2024-09-26 18:07

    You're welcome! Check your alternator; water pump; tensioner & fan post bearings as well. There's usually a reason why a belt shreds itself.

  5. #5pdhntr2024-09-26 19:54

    Yup. Checked those. You don't think it could be the belt hasn't been changed in 34 years?

  6. #6alrman2024-09-27 02:41

    Well it's hardly "shredded" - maybe good for another season or two!

  7. #7HarleyHappy2024-09-27 09:44

    Jeeesh, that belt is just barely broke in.

  8. #8pdhntr2024-09-27 10:51

    You guys happy now?

  9. #9HarleyHappy2024-09-28 08:56

    Just don’t put one of those adjustable belts on there like some people suggest. Cause it won’t work. The tensioners for those go bad quite frequently. They are available on Amazon for 25 bucks usually.

  10. #10Billrog2024-09-28 11:37

    When I had a belt go I measure with a piece of string by looping it where the belt would go ,all I had stranded on the side of the rd. phoned and had a new one delivered perfect fit.

  11. #11pdhntr2024-09-28 11:51

    Never heard of an adjustable flat belt. I know of "link belts" but I thought those were for V belt pulley application. This is an 8 rib flat belt. I am going to recheck the belt tensioner and possibly just replace it regardless of condition. Thank you. Jim

  12. #12pdhntr2024-09-28 11:55

    I have checked the part number repeatedly and I come up with the belt I have. However, with all the dinkin' around to get the new one on, I will double check with the string. Thanks. Jim

  13. #13Billrog2024-09-28 13:40

    Jim evidently with or without AC makes a diff. they told me. It was many yrs. ago but I have 52" in my head with AC I could be way out to lunch on the length.

  14. #14pdhntr2024-09-29 10:54

    No AC. I should be getting the belt on today as I got everything out of the way yesterday, but I believe it is a 62" belt. Thanks. Jim