Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K swing problems

Whit Casey ยท 2018-02-01 19:20

I just bought a 580k phase 1 in an online auction sight unseen and it has some issues. I am fairly green so please go easy on me. It will barely swing to the left and wont swing to the right at all until i barely apply pressure to the boom hand controls. It then swings great both ways. I can just barely put pressure on any one of the 3 hand controls and it does this. I hope I explained this well enough. Thanks in advance I have some other serious problems but lets tackle this first

Replies5
  1. #1Willie B2018-02-01 19:45

    580K series one has a swing sequence valve. it slows the swing when the boom is all the way right or left. Linkage must be adjusted correctly, and the valve must be in good condition. I've owned two of these tractors, and both valves have needed rebuilds. If you are mechanically competent, you can do it without specialized tools.

  2. #2ovrszd2018-02-02 11:31

    Coincidentally we were just talking about this on another thread. Hopefully someone can talk you thru the solution. There's some complexity there that is unique to these machines. Congrats on the purchase!!! Welcome to HEF.!!!

  3. #3Whit Casey2018-02-02 15:02

    I will search for the other thread you mention. If i can't find it, I may need a link when you get a chance. Thanks for the help

  4. #4Willie B2018-02-02 18:04

    There isn't a lot of useful information in it. I was talking about converting mine to joystick control because the foot swing was frightening to me. My first 580K was one my father would have described as "rode hard, and put away wet". I bought it cheap, fixed numerous leaks, rewired, changed all fluids, and filters, repaired both buckets. Then I found a very nice, low hour 580K. It had Case controls, and no extend a hoe. I switched some components of the backhoe before selling the more worn machine, including the control tower. It's a while ago, my memory is weak. I had to rebuild the swing sequence valve to make the first machine work as well as a 580K can. I had bought the first Case to replace a John Deere that proved utterly unuseable. If I could have a hybrid of the two manufacturers, I'd love that. No previous owner ever cares for a machine as it should be. Nonetheless, JD made a better machine in the 1990 era. Case is a Hell of a loader, the parked over center backhoe is genius. Hydraulic plumbing is primitive compared to JD of the same era. I have a full set of manuals, I'll try to study up on swing sequence valve when time allows.

  5. #5alrman2018-02-02 18:08

    Welcome to HEF @Whit Casey Regarding the swing reduction adjustments - This thread will help & it will lead you to a few others with useful information