I’m new to forum just recently purchased 580 k phase3 backhoe after transporting it on highway it lost 1st and 2nd gear. Between 1st-2nd it acts like it’s engaging in 3rd 1st-2nd tires free spin been working fine until moving last time 3rdand 4th works fine. I’m wanting to take cover off and look into transaxle at shift forks can this be accomplished without removing transaxle. I’m willing to try any other options to locate problem. Thanks
Welcome to HEF @Timbo320 The front cover is best removed with the transaxle removed from the machine, on it's back, pointing skywards. In saying that, I would look very closely at the gearshift selectors & their operation, before I got it in that position......
Thanks alrman I have removed shifter rods and moving both by hand I’m thinking 3-4 selector may be holding me out maybe not going to neutral really don’t wanna pull transaxle seems like a big task
@alrman - you seem to be the expert on these forums on the transmissions & transaxles, I’d appreciate your advice. I’m sorry to resurrect this post, but I have a similar question to what was posed earlier about the transaxle cover. Here’s the context: I recently acquired a 1995 case 590 turbo. It’s the phase 3 type transaxle. Transmission works but I’m doing a full oil and filter change anyway as I’m not sure how it was treated before me. Still need to pull the suction screen, but I stuck a bore scope into the drain port and found this thick grayish goo (brake material?) at the bottom of the transaxle case with some glitter in the oil. Brakes still work ok. Here’s the question: What’s the best way to clean the transaxle before putting the new fluid in? Could I take the rear cover off as suggested earlier in this post (without dropping the transaxle) and clean the grey goo off the bottom of the housing, or will I create problems? Is there a solvent you recommend that can clean the inside sufficiently without requiring all that to be undone? Or do I just put in new fluid and call it good enough?
Well.... the grey goo is cast iron grindings, caused from wornout steel brake discs running on cast iron brake pistons & backing plates. Cleaning the goo out doesn't fix the cause of the problem that is making it. From experience, the brakes will continue to work without any lining on the discs. (well sort of ) Pull the screen & move the internal pick up tube to the side a little & see how thick the goop is. The rear cover will come off without pulling the transaxle, but you won't be able to see the brakes. However, in the centre of the rear cover, note that there are 4 x larger bolts - 2 each side. There are 2 smaller headed bolts (15/16"- one each side) between them - these smaller bolts, are actually brake disc inspection holes. Unfortunately they don't reveal too much, only a trained eye can tell. It is possible the main brakes are OK, but the park brake has worn away & is causing the contamination. Oh, re cleaning, when I redo the brakes on these, (with transaxle on bench) I scrape the bulk material out & spray Kerosene to clean the residue. You may be interested in this page from my website
Hi @alrman , Thanks for sharing your website. I saw you’re in Australia- I visited in 2012 and loved it. Almost moved there, but I meet my wife and ended up staying in the states. I wish I had a competent shop near me that I could send this transaxle to, but alas I’m on my own. I took the brake inspection bolts off, and here’s what I’m seeing. “ Passenger “ brake looks like this: And the “drivers” side brake looks like this: I don’t have a “trained eye” to know what this means about my brakes, is there anything you can gauge from these photos? Next, I pulled the suction screen. It definitely had some metal, but not as bad as I’ve seen in the YouTube videos of people rebuilding these. I don’t know if the screen has ever been cleaned before, the tube locknut was on very tight and I had to use multiple passes of a heat torch and plumbers wrench to get it off. The tube retaining ring and none of the bolts had markings on them. Odo is at 4780 hours. Here’s what the suction screen looked like: There was more shavings that dropped into the bucket when I pulled the screen. I’d estimate about 1/4 cup of metal came out total. Finally, I put my borescope underneath the suction tube to get a look at the casing. Here’s the grey goo I’m seeing. Can you confirm this is brake material? Next step in my mind is to pull the rear cover off and clean out as much of the goo and metal filings out as possible. Then I’m torn on what to do next. Got any opinions on the state of my brakes? They really do “feel” fine. Parking brake was very weak when I got the unit but I “fixed” it by hand-rotating the black parking brake at the cab per the operators manual. What fluid should I refill the tranny with (mobile 1 delvac tractor fluid ok? Or should it be hy-Tran - and if so, which version? Thanks for all your help!
The pics of the inspection holes are difficult to tell for sure, but the passenger side pic shows a noticable difference in lining thickness on one side. It also looks like it has the goop there too? A quarter of a cup of debris from the screen is bad.... The way that your borescope has been buried in the goop indicates it is pretty thick in the bottom of the housing. Have you pulled the oil filter & drained it to see what comes out? If I was seeing this on an inspection, my recommendation would be to pull the transaxle & check it out properly.
Thanks for the advice. I can confirm that the passenger-side breaks are softer and sink in further when the pedal is pressed. It definitely seems that side is worn more. I did pull the oil filter and from what I see the oil seemed pretty similar to the oil color I showed in my first post coming out of the drain plug, maybe a little darker. I’ll try cutting the filter open. I agree with your assessment that the transaxle should be pulled, taken apart, and looked at. If I had a concrete floor, a shop nearby, or someone I could pay to do it, I would. I made the decision to button it back up and minimize driving it. I know that’s lame, but it’s the middle of winter - I’ve been working in the mud and the cold and it hasn’t been fun. This tractor is on a piece of bare land, so I don’t have my house nearby. I might drive it 50-100’ in a session. Since nothing is broken quite yet, I’m running it gingerly until I can do a full service in the summer. I’ll post an update when get around to it.