I got the filter and a bucket of Hy-Trans Ultra from a Case dealer. The plan is to drain the old fluid, change the filter, clean the screen at the pickup and clean the breather. I usually try to drain a transmission when it is at operating temperature. I didn't see any mention of this in the manual. Is the temperature any concern? I looked for the breather but I am not sure I am seeing the breather. Even if I find it I really don't know what to do with it. It is right next to the wires going to the valves and I don't want to poke around the wires too much. Can anyone tell me about the breather on the Carraro transmission? I don't see any reference to draining the converter or the trans cooler. I usually do them on car and truck transmissions, Can I do them on the 580L? I am looking to drain about 5 gallons of fluid, is that about right?
Correct, the breather is not an issue - best left alone. A little temp in the oil is good, it will drain faster. I don't like doing a service while operator is having lunch - a little too hot for my comfort. You can't drain the convertor - no plug - depends on how long you leave the drain plug out as to how much the cooler drains back. When you pull the screen, always run your finger around the cavity for heavier bits of trash. You will only get about 15 - 16lts (3 - 3.5gal?) out.
Thanks for all of your help, you are great to do this for all of us who have little experience or confidence with these machines. On cars/trucks I will pull the return line from the cooler and route it into a catch bucket, start the vehicle and let the new fluid flush through. I am scared to try this on the tractor. Do you think it is worth a try or best left alone? From the looks of the filter this may be the first fluid change, at least the first in a long, long time. Fluid looks fine and the trans works great but I'll feel a lot better knowing it is living with clean fluid.
Lol i poured 5 gallons when i changed my trannie oil and dang it i had to drain some
I know this is an old thread, but I did mine yesterday, 7/14/13 . I got 3 & 1/2 gal. out of it. Replaced with Hy-tran Ultra.
Dumb Question but how do you fill the trans on a 96 580SL 4x4?? All I see is the dipstick, but right now we are having a blizzard and the machine is outside
Hey MattewG, no questions are dumb - as long as they are only asked once! You will need to fill it using the dipstick tube. A drum pump is the tool of choice & check level with engine idling.
Just a couple questions for clarification. What temp at time of check? I know most cars recommend operating temp. Also, direction switch in "N"? I too overfilled my transmision I believe. I am going to drain out some to get to correct level. The spec plate is somewhat misleading it says 19.5 quarts with filter change and 6 gallons total capacity. I let mine drain a week and it still only needs 3.5 to 4 gallons it seems.