Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

momentary hydraulic weakness, not much power on curl

daywelding ยท 2011-08-30 10:55

pushing the main boom down to the ground to swing the hoe over a few feet, I noticed once pressure hits the boom and it starts to lift the hoe, it gets weak and the won't pick the hoe up for about 2 seconds, then like a void is filled it lifts the hoe and i can side shift it, but before it sideshifts it has that 2 second pause as if filling a void with the side movement. I checked the oil, plenty of that. Also the curl on the bucket seems to not have much power. A mechanic suggested the inside ram seels need re-done. could it also be just needs new filters? No one knows when the filters have been replaced.

Replies6
  1. #1Lee-online2011-08-30 18:08

    Very much doubt it is the filters. What machine is it?

  2. #2daywelding2011-08-31 23:04

    It's a '73 JD 410. It does leak a good bit of fluid out of the top of the valve body around the arm in and out plunger, and a little around the rest of them. Enough it makes a mess on the floor board over night. I put a new brass gasket on all of them and it stopped them from sucking air, it was bad enough you could hear it when u moved the sticks. The bucket all works good, seems a bit slow though on all movements even when it's reved up a little. I realize it's old, but i think it should be a lot better than this judging by the older models i've driven over the past 7 years. I heard the suggestion of turning up the pump...??

  3. #3cutting edge2011-09-01 08:33

    You have a flow problem.....as in not enough,and on that machine it means your pump is worn out.

  4. #4daywelding2011-09-01 14:03

    not the news i was hoping for. I have a service and repair manual on the way, is that pump something a mild skilled mechanic could do or are the pro's better off??

  5. #5daywelding2011-09-01 14:05

    also, would a new valve body where the hoe controls are help any?

  6. #6chroniekon2011-09-01 22:45

    I rebuilt mine a few months back. It's on a 1974 310 that I use here on the farm. I had never seen one before and it was a bit intimidating a first. The manual will walk you through step by step and the rebuild kit also comes with some instructions.