Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580lps 4wd solenoid

Aussiemac · 2026-03-09 15:07

Hi all. My backhoe is stuck in 4wd. Think it always has been since I’ve owned it but I had a broken front drive axle which I’ve recently repaired. From reading, the solenoid is on the top of the transmission, but that is on a shuttle shift box so I don’t know if it’s the same for a powershift? I honestly don’t even know what they look like. Having trouble locating it and the problem. Have power to the switch in the cab. Any ideas?

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2026-03-09 23:47

    Hey Justin, The solenoid is inside the control valve cover on the side of the transmission. 2wd requires 12v to be applied - if no power, 4wd is always engaged. Could be a wiring issue, before you do anything, look at the rear axle, there are two pressure switches in the brake line circuits - these activate 4wd when you apply the brakes..... crazy I know. If one of those switches has failed fwd will be engaged full time. Try disconnecting them & see what happens.

  2. #2Aussiemac2026-03-10 00:37

    Ah ok thanks mate. I know it defaulted to 4wd when no power, safety thing I’m pretty sure. Drive to the front end controlled by switches in the back end….. ‍♂️ I’ll have a look and test them. By disconnecting, will that take them out of the circuit and allow the switch to work? I’ll PM you regarding the back end anyway as I was looking to maybe do brakes overhaul coming up price depending.