Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M 4WD Front Hub Seal Replacement

Bote ยท 2023-09-14 14:14

Can you replace the seal without completely disassembling the planetary?

Replies5
  1. #1Bote2023-09-15 22:46

    I don't know if I should disassembly the planetary or just remove the hub as an assembly. The manual covers disassembly of the planetary but I don't know if it's necessary for replacing the seal. I think I'll swing by the Case service shop next week and see if one of the techs will tell me how they do it.

  2. #292U 34062023-09-16 09:41

    Which seal? There'll be one for the hub itself and another one where the axle shaft slides in to. Don't know about the 580M but I've done a newer 590 Case and I had to pull the cover off in order to get the axle stub shaft out.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2023-09-16 10:11

    You will have to disassemble the planetary to remove the axle hub to replace the seal. It's best to replace all the axle shaft seals while you're in there. Look at the axle shaft for grooves in it caused by the shaft seal. The service manual call for hy-tran in hub but I always use gear oil, less likely for seal to leak again.

  4. #4Bote2023-09-20 10:42

    Thanks Coy. The service manual describes disassembling the planetary and removing the hub but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a simpler way. So many times I've performed more disassembly than required.

  5. #5Bote2023-09-21 12:55

    Coy, is there a seal other than 311569A1?