Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M Counterweight Question

Bote · 2025-07-10 10:22

My TLB is light in the front, especially when working on a slope or loading on my trailer. I'm considering a front counterweight. Machines with extenda-a hoe all came with counterweights as standard (mine is standard). Case offers 450# and 900# counterweights. I can get a used 900# one for pretty cheap. Any wisdom on the two different weights?

Replies19
  1. #1Tinkerer2025-07-10 22:31

    No wisdom here, just an opinion. I cannot imagine a TLB with no counter weight up front. Especially if you don't have four wheel drive. I'm guessing the 450 lb weight was made to be put on tractors with FWD. If the 900 lber is too heavy you could cut it to lighten it up.

  2. #2Bote2025-07-11 00:38

    Looking back at my post it wasn’t clear. My machine is 4WD but not extendahoe and it didn’t come with a counterweight. I’ll be passing through Baton Rouge next week and am thinking about trying to pick one up at Broken Tractor. I’m not sure what the logic is around the two different counterweights but I agree with you about getting the bigger one.

  3. #3Tinkerer2025-07-11 10:25

    The 4WD - with the drive shaft guard on it weighs over 500 lbs. I'm guessing that Case offered (intended) a 450 lb weight for a 4WD tractor. IMHO

  4. #4Legdoc2025-07-11 15:26

    My 580M, OROPS, 4WD, extendahoe has a front weight and I can't say it has ever seemed back heavy. I will get a pic for reference.

  5. #5crane operator2025-07-12 14:49

    The counterweight difference may be if the machine has 4-1 bucket vs standard front bucket.

  6. #6Bote2025-07-14 15:01

    I think that's it. Two of my buds both have 580SM's with cab, 4WD, and extendahoe. The one with a 4-1 bucket has a 450# weight and the one with a standard bucket has a 900# weight. I'll post a video sometime of me almost turning my machine over when backing off a trailer. It was caught from my security camera. Check out the pics of the 580SM one of my buds owns. I don't see how he keeps it so clean as he does use it. It has the pilot controls, ride control, and about every option you could get in 2006.

  7. #7T-town2025-07-14 15:09

    wow!! a 20 year old machine?? looks brand new...

  8. #8Bote2025-07-14 16:22

    He’d like to sell it to me for $80k but I don’t want it that bad. He uses a small excavator and a tracked loader instead these days. Does a lot of septic tank and other work where he’s in tight places and says the TLB is a pain.

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-07-15 10:29

    So if it’s actually used, the strapping still has paint on it?

  10. #10Bote2025-07-15 11:34

    It's not currently used since he bought the excavator. It was for sale, not sure if he has it still. The owner of a large plumbing supply company ordered it new. When he retired about 5 years ago, they liquidated everything. My bud got the backhoe for somewhere in the $30ks I think. It only had about 240 hours on it. I think is has over a thousand now.

  11. #11Bote2025-07-15 11:40

    This is my first YouTube video. It was taken from one of my security cameras and shows me almost turning my backhoe over. It's one of the reasons I'm adding the front counterweight.

  12. #12Tinkerer2025-07-15 12:17

    What brand is your security camera ? Please don't be offended by my comment, but the image it produces is pathetic. I went thru 4 different brands before I found one far superior to the others. Some had good daylight images but poor quality at night. I don't post YouTube videos. But, I can post a snapshot image from one of them, if anyone is interested.

  13. #13highwayghost2025-07-15 12:18

    I have an SL 4wd extend and cab with what I believe is the 450# weight. Still seems a little light. Got it about 5 years ago and when the driver was delivering it did the exact same thing when unloading on level ground. Bent the RF wheel a little. I attributed it to hitting the brake without having the peddles locked together. Swinging the hoe all the way to one side does a lot for the balance. When I get new front tires I’m thinking of having them filled with fluid.

  14. #14Tinkerer2025-07-15 12:26

    I have operated Case TLB,s with factory installed steel plates welded to the loader bucket. I don't know what the dimensions are but it was at least 2 inches thick. It did not seem to have any effect on the hoist lifting speed.

  15. #15Bote2025-07-15 12:45

    No offence taken. I think the cameras are Amcrest, they came with an inexpensive system I bought 10 years ago. I've since upgraded the system but not replaced all the new cameras. The new ones 1080P and are sharper. What brand/resolution are yours? I'd like to see some shots from your cameras. I found a 900# front weight at a salvage yard for $300. Going to get it as soon as they get it off the machine it's on. I pulled in front of my house from the wrong direction the day of the incident. I was unloading with my trailer on a slight downward slope. I knew better but never had anything like that happen. When the front wheels lifted I had my foot on the brakes and the right one is weak so the machine turned to the right. Brake overhaul is my next project.

  16. #16Tinkerer2025-07-15 14:26

    I almost tipped mine over years ago. It is something I will never forget. The left rear tire was off the ground before the tractor settled back up. I was going down a steep slope with a BIG granite boulder in the front bucket. It was on the RH side of the bucket. I dropped the loader as fast as I could. Amcrest was the first brand of camera I bought. I forget the brand the 2nd one was. Then I tried Ring and they were better than the first ones. Lastly I bought a Wyze video doorbell. The image in it was/is quite better than all the rest. I now have 7 Wyze devices. Doorbells,plain cameras and floodlight cameras for my house and shop driveway. My shop is 460 feet from my house and all the cameras work flawlessly. Below is a snapshot from the floodlight camera that monitors the shop driveway. The RV is my daughters summer home. The Illinois River is in the center background. The driveway is 2 inch stone. I

  17. #17Bote2025-07-16 12:55

    I’ll have to check out the Wyze cameras. Salvage yard in Wolf Lake Illinois called and the counterweight they have is a 450 instead of a 900. Said I could have it for $150 but I think the 900 is what I need. I have a couple rolls of conveyor belt Ive been putting in the bucket when I load/unload it that make a difference. Anyone know of a good salvage yard in Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky or Tennessee? I’ve had no luck on Google searches.

  18. #18Tinkerer2025-07-16 13:42

    https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?manufacturer=case&model=580m&inventorytype=equip-weight&partnumber=230513A1&wcf=parentmodel Good people to deal with. They will ship it to you I would try the 450Lb. weight.

  19. #19Legdoc2025-07-16 22:53

    Ok here are the pics of my 580M series I with the counterweight and skid shield. Enjoy your machine! IMHO the 580M I is the last of the great stupid simple machines without all the electronic BS.