Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580M rear hub oil

Richard1 ยท 2013-11-13 16:47

The sticker on the side says the rear hub gets tractor hydraulic/transmission oil, but the bearings in the hub self destruct with this. Since the brakes are separate (on the differential), why not use a gear oil such as 85W-140 that was recommended on older 580's?

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2013-11-14 16:07

    Welcome to HEF Richard1! All machines here that I have anything to do with, run gear oil in the rear hubs. Case use the same bearings & seals in the front hubs & use gear oil, why they use hytran on factory fills in the rear is probably for uniformity or simplicity during assembly :beatsme

  2. #2Richard12013-11-14 16:59

    Thanks for the response. I was real surprised to see the sticker, and see the bearings in pieces. One thing leads to another.

  3. #3BlazinSS9342013-11-14 17:32

    I don't see the problem running the Hytran fluid in the rear, I think the rear diff needs the lower viscosity to prevent chatter? Richard you didn't mention if your 580 is a 4wd machine.

  4. #4alrman2013-11-14 20:22

    Just to clarify, when I speak of hub, I mean just the planetary part which rotates at the wheels - these I fill with gear oil. The rear axle, which contains the crownwheel & pinion / brakes - these I fill with HyTran Ultra + rear axle additive. :drinkup

  5. #5Richard12013-11-14 20:42

    Yep, it is 4x4, and I'm just talking about the wheel hubs. I know the brakes in the differential will need the HyTran type. Are you using 80W-90 or 85W-140?

  6. #6jdm2013-11-14 20:42

    Doesn't my owners manual spec HyTran in the planetaries?

  7. #7alrman2013-11-14 20:52

    85/140 Probably does..... as I explained above, why do they spec gear oil for the front hubs & hytran for the rear? They run exactly the same bearings. I have seen many bearing failures at the rear hubs - the gear oil is all I will recommend to my clients. In saying that we don't get snow, in a cold climate I may use a 90w.