Hey all, I’ve read so many threads on this topic lately that rather than add to those, I best start my own…. My 580lps powershift has always had an intermittent fault where it sometimes won’t go in either direction, or it will only work in fwd, but it has been getting progressively worse to the point that I had to drive it (on the legs wheels up) for about 20 minutes today it order to get it to go into reverse. How it has been, the powershift computer flicks n,r,n,r,n,r several times per second, sometimes using the declutch button on the joystick makes it behave, but plenty of fwd rev operations it normally comes good. CPU T light has always flashed (it’s a rough rig!), but holding button gives me AO OC which from another thread is direction modulator output open circuit or short. No idea where to start looking for this one. Relays and fuses all good, not sure if the solenoid would cause this. I’m thinking after reading another thread that @alrman posted in that he swapped a powershift unit and it was the problem. Mine is very much like that thread. I know he said there was someone in NSW Australia that was repairing those units as they as NLA. Happy to get it repaired if that is the actual issue but would like to make sure first. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a shifter solenoid acting up. Have this issue on a truck and a SxS when trying to shift back to 2 wheel drive, from 4 wheel drive or front lockers. Screen keeps blinking back and forth. Sometimes I have to shut it off or keep put it into reverse, then forward multiple times.
Update: After all this time I never did work out the problem. And after so much testing. Luckily we’ve had an extremely long wet season at home so it never got much use. After lots and lots of testing I’ve put it down to the computer that has the fault. Now comes the process of finding a similar machine and seeing if I can swap out the computer to test and see if it works. Other than that, it’ll be either drag myself around or scrap it
Hey @Aussiemac Somehow I missed seeing your first post on this. When you have exhausted yourself with testing & keep coming up with blanks, it a good feeling to plug in another control module & see everything working as it should. I take it you have been checking the range modulation solenoid? (G pin at X35 plug at the control valve) The coil is testing with a resistance & not open circuit? Whereabouts are you located?
@alrman I have certainly exhausted my capabilities with this problem! I’ve asked around locally but unless someone has one sitting in a shed that I can swap out the module which no one knows about…. Trying to find an auto electrician that wants to look at something this old is nearly impossible. I think I’ve read in the manual about that solenoid, I will have a look at the manual schematics this afternoon to refresh myself. I do believe it’s the module, and some time ago you helped someone here with a similar problem and said there was an old fella who could repair those modules somewhere as they’re now unavailable. Was wondering who what was? I’m up in the Whitsundays mate, I bought the steering ram overhaul kit off you last year which is now working great! I have video of exactly what the module is doing if you would be interested in looking? I can text it through to you if you wish?
Well, you could send me the video, but it won't really make too much difference..... Best you contact me, hopefully the ol' bloke is still fixing them & training someone else to take over...
So update on this after all this time…. I finally received my powershift module back yesterday and nervously plugged it back in to find that…. I now have 4 fwd and 2 rev gears whenever I want!!! Ohh the enjoyment of driving my machine. Special thanks to @alrman and all who helped. Especially the retired electronic engineer down in NSW state of Australia that meticulously rebuilt my module. For the record, they did say my unit was one of the most corroded they’d seen and for two failed diodes, it done a heck of a lot of damage to the circuit board traces. Now on we move to the next problem….